Monday, August 20, 2018

Yarn Shopping for a Good Cause, and other knit stuff

I bought some yarn recently, and yes, I bought it because I wanted it, but I also bought it because one of the people behind this line is going through cancer treatment, and that's really going to mess with her plans for working and, you know, earning money for a while, so I thought it would be a nice thing to do a little business with her business. I wanted to mention it in case any of you lovely people are knitters (honestly, I have no idea how many of you are? most, none, somewhere in between?), hadn't heard, and wanted to do a little similar shopping.

So the person is Annie Modesitt, who announced her cancer recently, and the company is ModeKnit Yarn. I got the colorway Sunrise in Glory, and was delighted with it when it came (very quickly). I haven't worked with it yet, of course, but it feels soft yet strong, it smells nicely sheepy, and the colors are very pretty.
In fact, it got me thinking of ordering more, but to do more than a skein or two, you have to have a plan, right? I got to looking at some of the nice tonals together:
The yellow doesn't quite fit in, though, so I'm pondering some more before I order.

Meanwhile, I knit a baby hat! I happened to notice the yarn left over from the baby blanket, and decided to whip out a quick ribbed hat to match. Some crappy photos:

It's one of those things that will look cuter on a baby head than it does by itself, of course.

~~~~~
Earlier, I was following up on my thinking about knitting-related travel by considering picking the Interweave Yarn Fest in late March next year. But on second thought, I'm not sure I'm ready for Colorado weather at that time of year. I mean, highs might be 60, but lows under freezing? Nah, I don't think so. Even if I never leave the hotel. Not yet. I'm down here sweating my ass off and yet still taking great pleasure in the idea of never shoveling snow again.

Maybe Stitches United in Atlanta in May-June? One thing that won't be is cold. Although it's more about general crafting than just knitting, which isn't best suited to me. Well, lots more time to ponder. And wait for places like Knitter's Review to start their 2019 lists.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you mentioned the yarn purchase. I bought two skeins - one in dragonfly inn, and one in crab nebula. I couldn't find any information on the content or yardage so I looked it up on ravelry and think I found the same yarn. We'll see when it comes in.

    ReplyDelete