Sunday, July 09, 2017

Brain-Full

Remember that Far Side cartoon of a kid in a classroom, asking to be excused because his brain is full? I'm kind of feeling that way today. A mix of immediate, short-term, medium-term, and long-term things bumping around my head. I did some of the immediates for today (got to Petsmart, did the dishes, made half the chicken salad, anyway...), and a few of the others, but ... my brain is in ADD mode.

It's probably in part because I'm trying not to worry too much about Carlos, who is fine in the short term, but possibly not so much in the longer term. You may recall that when I took him in for his check-up in January, he'd lost about a pound since the previous year. The vet didn't want to wait another year, so I brought him back Saturday for a half-year check, and he's lost another half pound. Which is not immediately critical, but isn't really good.

One of the things I never considered, when I adopted a cat that had been rescued as an adult, was how much I would sometimes want to know how old he really is. I've had him for seven and a half years, so he's, at minimum, probably nine. But he could be older, he could be a lot older, and at some point in treating mystery ailments like this, you want to consider how much to put a really old cat through. But I don't know how old he is! As you can tell, it's bugging me.

There isn't anything I can do about it today, anyway. Well, I bought him some dry food, since he used to eat that and was happily overweight on it, so I figured, why not add some to his diet? But other than that, all I can really do today is appreciate him. Which I am. Here are some recent pictures, so you can, too.





 



He knows how to relax, and take life as it comes.

1 comment: