Monday, June 28, 2010

Random Mix: Claws, Quiz, Dentist

The last couple of times that I've tried to nab Miri to trim her claws, I have been quite spectacularly unsuccessful, as in blood and tears. In retrospect, I was forgetting the key to success in this challenging task: the scruff. I was trying to pin her down (note to self: THIS DOES NOT WORK), instead of lifting up (not actually lifting her off the ground by the scruff, but raising her front end slightly).

The lifting up, combined with a towel to blunt the wrath of the pointies, worked quite well last night. I had to stop clipping several times and re-apply the scruff clamp*, but she never got as worked up as before, thank heavens.

*Lacking the third hand that would allow me to keep a hand on her scruff while using two hands to clip. Zaphod would do a much better job at this, theoretically (though in practice, I can't see him bothering).

And boy, did she need it! It actually took longer than it usually would, because her claws were so long that I had to clip most of them more than once. She was not amused*, but never drew blood, and sadly, that is a measure of success in this task.

*In fact, she was bemused that several times, I kissed the top of her head (I couldn't help myself: when do I ever get the chance?). She looked up at me like she wanted to ask, "Have you forgotten who I am?"

Happily, she does not hold a grudge. She continues to be schizophrenically split between friendly and fleeing.

**************
I took an online quiz for the first time in a long time. I've mentioned before (here, here, and here, specifically) an author named Gail Carriger, and her books Soulless and Changeless* (with three sequels to come, ooh!). She came up with a quiz related to the books, and I had to find out if I was a vampire, werewolf, ghost, or soulless.

*Warning: don't read the blurb for the second book before you read the first book, and by all means don't read the blurb for the third until you finish the second book!

ccr's Result: Ghost
on quiz: Are you a Vampire, Werewolf, Ghost, or Soulless?


Ghost



You like to watch others, and you are careful in what you
say. People often find you turning up where they least expect it, and you
always seem to know more than you should. Sometimes, however, you may feel a
little invisible.



"All that her Herculean effort revealed was a hint of
wispy silver and a vaguely human form: Formerly Merriway. She was a polite
ghost, relatively young and well preserved, and still entirely sane."

Quiz MakerTake this quiz & get your result
Are you a Vampire, Werewolf, Ghost, or Soulless? » make test

Probably meaningless, but fun. They're good books! Haven't you read them yet?

**********
I had to miss my stitch and bitch tonight* for a dental cleaning, since Monday is the only night they're open late for tooth torment. The hygienist and I talked about how strange it is to be an adult and have to make yourself do things like go get your teeth cleaned, and pay for the privilege. Fortunately, nothing evil was discovered, and now I have my first appointment for 2011: I go back in January. Pretty funny to think about! Given that the temps were in the mid-90s today, January seems safely far away, and good riddance to it.

*I've missed a couple of weeks recently. Hopefully next week will be go. Having the ability to knit without pain return will be good!

My mouth feels kind of tender, though. Ow. Off to find something soft for dinner.

P.S. Don't forget to enter the 1000th-post venting contest, if you're so inclined! You have until next weekend, if you need to think about it first.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the successful claw-trimming. My cat makes it a point to step on my bare foot with the paw I didn't get to (due to her freakout) last go-around!

    I totally want to start the Soulless series this summer! I had to guess on the character questions, but I think I came by my Soulless result pretty cleanly. :)

    ReplyDelete