Friday, March 26, 2010

Random Bits

Weather Woes
As I drove to work in the snow, yes, snow this morning (the end of a storm that was mostly rain), I thought wistfully of last Saturday, when I was wearing shorts. Tomorrow's forecast high is in the upper 30s. Dropping 40 degrees in less than a week is not what I like in a climate.

Somebody Else's Problem
My spirits have been a bit lighter at work the last couple of days, now that I can look ahead to a time when all this lunacy* will be Somebody Else's Problem**. In the balance of pros and cons, I feel good about this decision far more than any qualms trouble me. (And it's a good thing, too: late today, one of the medium-higher-ups stopped by my desk and said that everything's changing [again] next week, and "hang on to your hat", which might have bothered me more if I couldn't think of it as a short-term irritant.)

*To go back to the centipede I used in a previous image, picture a centipede running. Now try to change all his shoes at once, while he keeps running. Hard to picture that working well, isn't it? For you or for the centipede.
**the Douglas Adams part of the article, naturally

Borders Win, Whole Foods Triple-Fail
Now that I'm facing voluntary unemployment (it sounds so negative when I put it that way), I'm going to work on being even more aware of cost-savings opportunities. I've been building my savings up recently (from the practically nothing they used to be, that is), but I need to not fall into the habit of grabbing a pizza on the way home, or picking up any random book or skein of yarn that calls my name.

However. I mentioned last month that I read a really good book, Soulless by Gail Carriger, and that the second book was coming out in March. It's actually not officially out until next week, but there were reports of early sightings (her blog is a lot of fun, really), and then Borders sent out a 2-day "40% off one book" coupon, so I thought I would see if the stars would align for me, and they did! So though I kind of shouldn't have spent the money, we all knew I was going to (right? surprising no one?), and it was $5 instead of $8+. So: win.

Next, I stopped in at Whole Foods to see if perchance they carry frozen pomegranate seeds. Random, you think? Well, I picked some up at Trader Joe's recently, and guess what: I really like them, and it's a healthy snack! That requires no prep! So of course TJs was out of them the next time I looked, and don't know when they'll get more. (I love Trader Joe's, truly, but that happens Far Too Often.) Hmm, I thought to myself, I wonder if Whole Paycheck might carry them?

No; fail. Okay, well as I'm here I'll pick up another french onion dip, since I liked the one I got a month or two ago.

Not to be found anywhere. Really? Okay; fail. Well, look at the lovely display of chocolate for Easter! Aren't those pretty, and they look similar to Lake Champlain Chocolates. Are the different color wrappings different varieties of chocolates, or the same?

Not marked. Or priced. Mystery chocolate; fail.

Forget it. Three strikes, I'm out.

Now, I have some reading to get to, perfect for my regular Friday-night-couch-crash. Some people party on Friday nights; I prefer to vegetate. Which way do you go?

1 comment:

  1. I had heard about "Soulless" and wondered if it was any good!

    That is too weird about Whole Foods; I went to mine after work and had a lot of good finds. And chocolate that was on sale.

    Today I balanced partying (a beer with the math & science teachers) with vegging (Jeopardy! and House Hunters with a cat passed out across my legs).

    ReplyDelete