Monday, February 02, 2009

Reading in January

For the last couple of years, I've written a summary of the number of books I've read, but I don't often talk about the individual books. This seems odd to me, as you can see by the numbers that I read a lot. I've decided that perhaps, at the end of each month, I could write about some of what I read that month, so that anything that deserves a moment in the sun will be more likely to get it. So:

What I Read in January

The total in January was 12, of which 7 were re-reads and thus 5 were new. Some of the new ones:
  • I read a good review of The Soloist, and found it to be interesting if not exactly uplifting. If you're intrigued by the subject, though, I do recommend it. (I just learned that there's going to be a movie from the book, with Robert Downey Jr. and Jamie Foxx, in case that either increases or decreases your interest.)
  • I also read (thank you again, library) Gods in Alabama, by Joshilyn Jackson. I read her blog, and love it, so I thought that maybe perhaps sometime I ought to try her published novels for heavens sake. I enjoyed this one, although not as much as her blog! But it was very well written, and I appreciated the way the past and present stories unfolded side by side. I'm planning to try her other books as well.
  • Jumper and Reflex, by Steven Gould. (And apparently Jumper was a movie that came out last year, I don't remember it but IMDb does, but anyway it sounds like it's significantly different from the book's plot. Just saying.) Not exactly light-hearted sci-fi, but an interesting premise well-executed. Some of the second book disturbed me, though.
And then the re-reads:
  • Graceling, by Kristin Cashore. Oh, I like this book! Can't wait for the sequel/prequel/companion/whatever, next book.

  • Free-Range Knitter. I love Stephanie. She may not speak for all knitters (I wouldn't want to presume), but she speaks for many. And she's so funny.
Well, sports fans, I think that's from me about January. What about you: read any good books lately?

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading The Yiddish Policeman's Union: http://www.amazon.com/Yiddish-Policemens-Union-Novel/dp/0007149824

    I'd read the Mysteries of Pittsburgh by the same author, and really liked it. This one is entirely different--completely different location, population, writing. I don't understand all of the Yiddish, but that isn't much of a stumbling block. He creates amazingly ugly characters.

    ReplyDelete