Thursday, March 03, 2016

What I'm Pondering

As I was driving home tonight (worked in the office today, woo-hoo), I was thinking about singing. And not for the first time, as it's something that I don't actually understand. I have often said that I don't sing well, and I stand by that, but I am an enthusiastic singer-along-with-the-radio, and I have noticed that I sound better on some songs and worse on others, and I don't know the reasons behind it. It doesn't affect my pleasure in singing, much, but it puzzles me.

How is it that I can roll out December 1963 (Oh, What a Night)* and be not good (especially on the high notes), and yet I picked up my old school hymnbook recently and when I sang the first verse of Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise, I sounded actually good, I think (other than breath control, which I guess I need to practice).
*That link is to the Wikipedia page, where I learned to my surprise/disbelief that Mitt Romney claims it as a favorite song. Really??

I was thinking about this, and switching radio stations trying to find a decent song, and guess what came on? Hand on my heart, it did,



Why do I love that song so? No explanation. But I do. And I don't have to ask anyone to listen to me sing it to know that I don't sing it "well" (which truly doesn't bother me). But then how come I can sing that hymn, a capella, and it sounds pretty good? Is there a musical explanation for why some songs would suit my voice more than others? I'm sure I'm exposing my total lack of musical education, but there I am.

Off to watch the rest of the Bruins game.

1 comment:

  1. This is just a guess, but since it's your "old school hymn book" I assume you had choral direction when you learned it (or at least sung it regularly). Learning how to sing something "properly" will make you sound better.

    And December 1963 is one of my favorite oldies too.

    ReplyDelete