Thursday, October 17, 2013

Not-so-secret knitting: the final reveal

I haven't actually talked much about last weekend, have I? My Apple Festival reporting has suffered since I became a Rhinebeck addict, that's for sure; they're just too close together. Well, here's one thing, and then I'll try to touch on a few things tomorrow.

As you know, I've been blogging about the shawl I've been knitting for my aunt, but you may have noticed no news about it recently. This is because, a few weeks before my trip, I saw the possibility that I would be able to finish it in time to present it in person, and decided to make that part of it a surprise. I like a deadline that's less fall-down-dead due date and more if-possible target; less pressure. In fact, I finished knitting it the Saturday before Apple Festival, and blocked it on Sunday. Perfect! It was handed over shortly after I arrived.

How did it get there? First, we wash. The week before, the pot held applesauce; this time, merino. Flexibility!

I put the foam squares on the bed to lay it out, leading to much angst in cat-ville. Miri fled the scene, and Carlos skittered around my feet while I was tugging and pinning as though I had yelled at him when I totally hadn't. It looked pretty, all flattened out, see?
I turned the fan on toward the bed and closed the door, so that neither of us had to worry. Well, about the bed; Carlos was deeply worried by the closed door. I try to imagine how I would have felt if a wall appeared across the living room, blocking off space I always used to be able to get to. He kept walking back up to the door as if it might open this time. Eventually he went to the office perch to sulk. I opened the window in there, which was only slight consolation to a guy who likes his routines (as well as his bed and his window). Later I was sitting in the living room when Miri came out of hiding and meowed at me; I told her that Carlos was in the office, and pointed, and damned if she didn't walk straight in there to join him.

All is not right in the world.

I went in a couple of times to check on how the shawl was drying, as well as when I was putting laundry away, and I swear Carlos was aggravated that I could get in there when he couldn't. What is the point of having big paws without opposable thumbs?
A final thought: I enjoyed making something for someone based on their input. Surprise presents can work out well, but it's also nice when you can be pretty sure the recipient wants it. I'm definitely open to suggestions, loved ones! I mean, chances are I'll knit you something anyway, but feel free to give me ideas.

I'll leave you with more pictures.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! And oh, Miri's little worried face in that picture make me go "Awwwwwwww!" out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work on the shawl.

    How's the bike riding going?

    Insofar as cars, I'm going with Toyota recommendations (I drive a '99 Camry and so far, so good with only one major expense yearly in the past couple of years) and my neighbor swears by her Rav 4. She's on her 2nd one and travels from here (about 10 miles west of Red Apple Farm) to Shelburne Falls 4 or 5 days a week for work.

    ReplyDelete