Sunday, October 06, 2013

Not a Gas Leak. And Pumpkins!

So the good news is that the nice man from National Grid says my oven is not leaking gas, which is good news. However, it's got a carbon monoxide problem, which although it won't result in the house blowing up (also good news), does require not using the oven until I can get someone here to look at it.

In related news, I have cookie dough for my cousin's son's* birthday in the fridge, but I don't know that I'm willing to make them in the toaster oven, so that might be delayed. (He's turning 14, so it's not like I'm disappointing a three-year-old or anything.) Sigh. Add another thing to The List.
*So he's my first cousin once removed. Somehow, "my cousin's son" comes out more easily.

And how was your weekend?

Mine was actually good otherwise. I got a lot done without feeling like I never sat down. Not exciting stuff mostly (laundry, dishes, vacuuming, that kind of thing), though there was one not-every-weekend thing: pumpkins. The last year or two, I haven't gotten around to getting a pumpkin to roast the seeds, and I really wanted to do it this year. I went to Wilson Farm, where they had many wonderful options.
I brought home two, and they passed inspection.
Well, I suppose it's all right. This once.
I gutted the small one yesterday, and lesson learned: my hand only just fit inside, making the seed removal a bit awkward. My hand was pretty tired afterward. But the seeds were good! Today I went for the bigger one (and had to roast the seeds in the toaster oven, ahem).
I rinse the seeds off, spread them in a single layer on the cookie sheet, salt them, and then bake them until they rattle when I shake the sheet. Yum! Must be fall if I'm eating pumpkin seeds.

I picked up a few other gourds, too. I was going to see about getting a plant to bring grandma next weekend, when I passed a bunch of little funny ones, like I got last year, and thought hey, that might amuse her. I picked out these two, and enjoyed how they can be paired.

Yes, if it doesn't amuse her, it has at least amused me.

The Bruins won last night, which was nice, and are now 2-0 on the season. Whoever made the schedule so they're now off for four days, though? Very funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment