Thursday, March 03, 2011

Good News, larger and smaller (with utterly unrelated photos)

I liked this stage of the bloom because it reminds me of a hand, like this:


I am so pleased to tell you that I did not get selected for a jury. I spent less than a full day in the courthouse, I sat through one empanelment but did not get seated, and once the other trials for the day were empaneled (or possibly settled, I don't know), we were released. Whew! The case that I got the closest to was a civil, not criminal case, and that wouldn't have been as bad, but I'm still feeling very relieved to have dodged the bullet. Now for three years of peace, jury-duty-wise.

Also, with all the sitting-around-time, my recently neglected sock-in-progress is now past the heel. Yes, I can now add "jury pool assembly room" to the list of places where I've turned a heel.

In other news, I have some small successes to report. You know, the kind of thing that isn't exactly a big deal, but feels much bigger than it is?

First of all, my disposal (the grindy thing in the kitchen sink) was sounding a little funny recently, and then stopped working at all. I was very dismayed at the thought of either living without it, or having to find and pay someone to fix it.

I ran across the folder of kitchen-appliances paperwork, and in looking at the disposal info, learned that there is a reset button on the bottom, and decided to take a whack at it before bringing in a pro. Simply hitting reset did not work miracles, but with a little adjusting, it's working again. Wheee!

Second, I've been having trouble with the mouse on my home computer for a few months now, specifically with the scroll roller thing. I love scrolling. I can't stand being without it. And it was working in a jerky, up-and-down way that made it worse than useless. Sometimes even when I didn't try to use it, the web page I was on would jump up and down, which was extra maddening.

I tried putting in a new battery (it's a wireless mouse), I tried re-synching it to the USB thingy, and nothing worked. I worked fine for at least a year, but now wouldn't work at all.

So, when I was a Target the other day, I picked up a new one. The old-fashioned kind, with a wire, like Laura Ingalls would have used. And though I'm not thrilled to have spent money (even just ten bucks), it is delightful to have scrolling capabilities again. I'm calling it a win!

He ain't heavy ... he's my pillow...

2 comments:

  1. And Laura Ingalls would have referred to it as a "boughten" mouse. This we know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I can now add 'jury pool assembly room' to the list of places where I've turned a heel."--cross one off the "heel bucket list"! Hee!

    Kinda glad you didn't get picked. I think I would like to do stuff like that, but it's never the right time.

    The kitty pillows are too cute.

    ReplyDelete