Friday, March 24, 2017

Asking the Tough Question

The other day, I saw the trailer for the new series being made based on Charlaine Harris' Midnight, Texas series, and decided to watch it.

On an aside, I don't plan to watch the series when it starts. That's for two reasons:

  1. Although I read at least the first book and maybe the second, I didn't love it/them. I liked the Sookie Stackhouse series, particularly the earlier ones, and the Harper Connelly series, although not quite as much (Midnight is a spin-off from the latter).
  2. My tolerance for scary/bloody/gory/violence is much lower in visual media than in reading.

However, I watched the trailer. Here it is, if you want to see what I'm talking about.



Now, what do you think made the biggest impression on me in this?
Wait, they're kissing in the shower and he has shampoo in his hair, and it's not going in his eyes? Or in her eyes? No way!
Even being careful, I often get shampoo in my eyes in the shower, or at least water running out of my hair and into my eyes, and that's with trying really hard not to, keeping my head tilted back, etc. So, yes, here we have a psychic and a vampire and some demons or otherworldly creatures ... but my suspension of disbelief broke at the shampoo. No way could you bend your head forward like that and not have shampoo running down your face. Sorry, nope, I do not believe it.

(Yeah, a whole post about this. Sorry. Trust me, it beats a whole post whining about how my hands have hurt today. Stupid arthritis.)

1 comment:

  1. "What was the Sherlock Holmes principle? 'Once you have discounted the impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.'"

    "I reject that entirely," said Dirk sharply. "The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks. How often have you been presented with an apparently rational explanation of something that works in all respects other than one, which is just that it is hopelessly improbable? Your instinct is to say, 'Yes, but he or she simply wouldn't do that.'"

    "Well, it happened to me today, in fact," replied Kate.

    "Ah, yes," said Dirk, slapping the table and making the glasses jump. "Your girl in the wheelchair -- a perfect example. The idea that she is somehow receiving yesterday's stock market prices apparently out of thin air is merely impossible, and therefore must be the case, because the idea that she is maintaining an immensely complex and laborious hoax of no benefit to herself is hopelessly improbable. The first idea merely supposes that there is something we don't know about, and God knows there are enough of those. The second, however, runs contrary to something fundamental and human which we do know about. We should therefore be very suspicious of it and all its specious rationality."

    -- Douglas Adams. The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (1988) p.169

    ReplyDelete