Monday, March 02, 2015

An Unexpected Twist on a Monday

Last night's snow amounted to about two inches to clear off the car this morning, annoying but nothing much, especially THIS year. Then I drove in to work, the sun struggling to come out, the roads so torn up from the plows and the freezes that it brought to mind a phrase from a Douglas Adams book, "pothole slalom," and had me considering changing my route to avoid some particularly bad spots. Perfectly normal winter Monday.

Which is why it was, let us say, surprising to arrive at work and find the lights off. I went in, and the lights were actually on at the other end of the office, where one of my coworkers came out to ask if I hadn't gotten the message about the office being closed, or had just come in anyway? (That's what he did, because he does design things that are so slow remotely as to be hardly worth trying.) Well, hmm.

[And yes, kind of funny that this happened so soon after the episode not getting the message about the networking brunch; even more ironic, one of my coworkers, the one who told me about that organization in the first place, emailed today that she had car trouble and wouldn't be coming in. She didn't get the office-closed message either. Now that's irony.]

I figured it out, actually, the why of not getting the message*: the woman who used to call everyone when the office was being closed was apparently told that she could text everyone instead, which makes total sense so she doesn't have to make all the separate calls, but since she had been calling my home number, not my cell, well, no text goes through on the land line. I'm kind of surprised that she didn't get an error message, as I recently got when I tried to text someone and mistakenly used their office number ... and I also think she should have tested the system the first time, sent out a trial message and confirmed that everyone got it. But whatever. It was not a big deal; I finished my smoothie and came home again. I would have liked to sleep in, but I can't say I'm sorry to have another day off! And there sure is plenty to do around here, always.
*Why they chose to close the office today, now, that's a whole different "why" to figure out

So in between sitting with kitties, reading blogs, and following along on the trades happening around the NHL today (the deadline was this afternoon; the Bruins made a few small changes but no blockbusters), I got a few things done. Not big things, but chipping away at the overall problem. A few things for the garbage, another pile started of things to donate, sort out what belongs in this drawer and what belongs on that shelf. And what doesn't. I moved a tote of extra scarves/hats/etc to the shelf in the closet, which makes so much more sense than where it was. I checked all the batteries in the drawer, charged some rechargeable ones that had run low, sorted and tidied. Ran the dishwasher, swept the kitchen floor, emptied the dishwasher (when you find yourself happily breathing in the humid air from opening the dishwasher, you are overdue for a break from winter, just saying). Highly exciting stuff.

And hopefully the office will be open tomorrow. I guess. Though I go to the dentist at lunchtime to get my permanent crown, and after work I have a haircut before the mortgage refinance closing, so it'll be a busy day anyway. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment