Monday, July 16, 2012

Update: Scrubbies 201

By far the most popular entry I've ever written here, in terms of page views anyway, is the how-to I did on crocheting dish scrubbies, back in 2007. Several crafting sites linked to it, my site stats went briefly bonkers before returning to normal, and I still get hits from those links all the time. Which makes me realize that I'm overdue to update it.
 
One of the comments on that post (in 2009; it still gets a lot of traffic) let me know that I could get the netting on rolls, instead of buying it by the yard and cutting it into strips myself. I thought this sounded good, but didn't do anything about it for a while (how very like me). Eventually I found a seller on eBay (seasonaldecorator, but there are others) and tried it. 
 
And wow, is it ever less labor intensive! Instead of buying the yardage, folding it, cutting it, rolling the strips into balls, and having to stop and tie ends together throughout the making, then tuck all those ends in ... I just grab the end of the roll and start crocheting; then when I'm done, there's only the first and last end to tuck in. Super-easy! It doesn't make working with netting any more fun, really, but it's a lot less work than it used to be.
 
I even have a little side table with decorative knobs that I can put a roll on, so it doesn't bounce across the couch (or floor) when I pull. Serendipity, I say.
You can see a knob in the foreground, and the roll of nylon net in the background is on another.
 
 Since I do still get comments on that page, and there are plenty of people clicking the links to see it, I've been meaning to update it for a while now. The old way still works fine, but if you want, there's an easier way.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, did I miss something? What's the new way? I, for one, would like to know!

    ReplyDelete