Thursday, July 06, 2017

Meh, Today Was

First off, I don't know if we ever did have the water turned off.

This morning, I decided that I didn't feel like staying in and waiting for it to go off, so I went out. I was so tired yesterday, and had a bit of a headache on and off, so I ended up in bed before 8 last night, and slept and woke and slept and woke, my head feeling like the brain and skull were from different models that shouldn't have been put together. The head was a bit better this morning, but not to the point where I felt I could deal with the water-uncertainty.

I went to Panera, got a drink and a cookie, and found a table near an outlet, so I could plug the computer in (the battery won't last a full work day). The distraction factor of being in public wasn't too bad, though there was a woman there for a little while that I really wanted to tell not to talk with food in her mouth, yuck. Fortunately, I wasn't facing her, so I could make faces as needed.

After about an hour of work, I had to go to the bathroom, and since I was packing up anyway, when I came out I sat elsewhere so as not to be next to the table of older men who clearly come in regularly to schmooze. That Panera has a small separate room, seating about two dozen, and no one else was in there. It turned out to be even cooler than the outer area, which was unfortunate, and no outlets that I could see*, but it was a bit quieter, so that helped.
*Overall, Panera seemed to have very few, just to report on that aspect of working from there; also, the wifi connection dropped about three times while I was there, though it reconnected easily.

I left an hour or more later, since lunchtime was coming up, and not only do I think it would be rude to take up a table when they're really busy, they actually limit the wifi to 30 minutes at midday (not that I blame them), so I wouldn't have been able to. On to the library! I found a spot in the quiet study room, which actually was pretty quiet, and even near a plug, so I worked for another hour or more before lunch was calling me home.

When I got home, I checked and found the water was (still) on, so I decided to stay unless and until it was turned off. Which, as I mentioned to start, it wasn't, though when I saw them letting water gush out of a hydrant, I was sure it would be. I was very glad it wasn't, though, as my head started to bother me again, and I was just feeling rather listless and not wanting to deal with the laptop-in-public-and-bathrooms dance again and again.

Though I could have done without the noises from the workers outside; at one point, two different machines were making piercing back-up beeping noises, and it was so painful... Anyway, they have packed up and gone for the day, which is good. I expect they'll be back tomorrow, though, even though no updates have been sent.
Call it a hunch, but I don't think they're done. (That's where they were using the asphalt cutter, and then jackhammering, yesterday. When will they be done?)


Post a Comment

<< Home