Sunday, January 03, 2016

Knitting, Not As Planned

Sometimes, knitting doesn't go as planned, and I'm facing a couple of situations like that right now.

First, I finished the little scarf-shawl I was working on, that I started in late October; I've mentioned it in passing here and there, but not too much, though I first mentioned it in theory going on two years ago! I really liked making it, and I thought I was binding off loosely enough, but it seems I was wrong, since after much soaking (it kept changing the color of the water, so I kept changing the water, yesterday afternoon and this morning) I pinned it out and couldn't get the points to block out right. I may have underestimated the power of the stretchiness that the wool would have to overcome the lack of same in the bamboo and silk components. I left it to dry, and will see how I like it. I may have to grit my teeth, undo the bindoff, and redo it much more loosely. I really don't want to, so much will depend on how it comes out.

Then, last night I picked up the little cashmere scarf that I started over a year ago, with splurge yarn from the Interweave Knit Lab I went to in 2014, which got put aside for other things, and realized that how much I loved the yarn was masking how much I wasn't enjoying the pattern. I contemplated that, and then I took a deep breath and frogged it. There isn't anything wrong with the pattern, but it wasn't making me happy, and if you have your wee, expensive bit of cashmere yarn, you want to enjoy the making as well as the wearing. I'm thinking of trying this scarf pattern, but I reserve the right to change my mind.

So that's where I am: possible and definite problems, no pictures (yet), and bravely facing the end of the long weekend. And how are you doing?

1 comment:

  1. You should never be afraid to frog something if you don't like how the knitting is going. I've done that myself and have far preferred the second go-around when I found the right pattern for the yarn and for me. I hope this pattern works for you because that yarn really is lovely.

    ReplyDelete