Saturday, January 23, 2016

Farm Fiber Farmers Fun

On Friday, I saw a link on Facebook from one of my friends about Farm Fiber Day at the Wayland Winter Farmers' Market on Saturday, and although Wayland isn't close to me, when I looked at the description, I started to think that the distance wasn't far enough to stop me. So many good-looking food vendors, including bagels (I love a good bagel), as well as lots of lovely yarn? Color and promise and light as snow heads our way?

I dithered about it somewhat this morning, but finally decided that as it wasn't actually held outdoors (I couldn't have faced that), but in a garden center greenhouse, and since we're only supposed to get a few inches of snow (as opposed to the mid-Atlantic area, where snowfall will be measured in feet), I really ought to just go and get out of the house already.

I got there before noon after a simple drive, down 128 and out route 20, I barely needed the GPS. There's quite a lot of parking, though the parking area is a little convoluted, or at least so it seemed on a first visit. I headed toward the buildings, and as soon as I got close I regretted not bringing my camera, having never seen a food truck with a pizza oven in it. It's impressive! But I went on in, and found a succession of rooms and areas with a mix of vendors; like the parking lot, a little confusing to the newcomer, but I wandered around and in the end I don't think I missed much. It was quite crowded, and there were plenty of times when I couldn't move until someone else did, which makes me mildly claustrophobic, but nothing severe.

In terms of food selection, it was still good when I got there, but clearly some things sell out -- I got the last pumpernickel bagel, and saw plenty of menu boards with items crossed out -- so while there was still a lot going on, if there's something you really want, better to get there earlier. I bought the bagels and a loaf of cinnamon chip bread (it's a weakness), and some otebo beans to try in white bean soup, as well as a skein of squishy-soft cormo yarn -- I was tempted by many yarns, but the cormo was just too nice to pass by.

On my way out, I stopped at a food truck, the Roving* Lunch Box, and bought one of their hand pies, specifically the chicken pot pie, and ate it as soon as I got to the car (much too cold to be eating it outside, or even slowing down to eat it while walking, brrr). So delicious! Warm and filling, though not a meal of itself; I rather regretted not getting a sweet one as well.
*Now there's a double meaning for you, on Farm Fiber Day!

Overall, a good time. There's another one in March, and it's marked on my calendar.

1 comment:

  1. Glad the worst of the snow missed you. We got slammed.

    ReplyDelete