Monday, September 21, 2015

Imagine a Roller Coaster. In the Grand Canyon

Such ups and downs this weekend. It's tiring just to think about. Or maybe that's the Monday talking. Being laid off sucked, no doubt, but all the extra sleep this summer was marvelous. I've been tired for a month now, and I still haven't adjusted. (And I don't mean I'll adjust and not feel tired, but that I'll adjust to feeling tired. At least I hope I will.)

Biggest up: I finished knitting the blanket! Yay! Happy dance!
I have to weave in the ends, wash it, take a lot of pictures ... but the knitting is done, and that is, literally, huge.

Biggest down: I broke my little tablet. Sigh.
Not mine, but something like that. Non-fixable, believe me. 

As you can imagine, I'm trying to focus more on the former than the latter, and as you can also imagine, it's difficult to do.

In more detail:
Last week I watched a bunch of movies in the evenings and knit, knit, knit. I had planned to knit something else on Saturday afternoon, once my errands were run, but when the time came, I couldn't bring myself to. I didn't exactly think I was going to finish, but it was just so close that I couldn't put it off. So I watched movies (the rest of Some Like It Hot, which I started Friday night, and then Sense and Sensibility, and then Kung Fu Panda*), and knit, and knit, and hey, time for the border, and bind off, and whee!
*Eclectic tastes, I guess?

So that was good, and so were my plans for Sunday, although the day didn't start all that well when first, I had to clean up where Belmont vomited (though at least I found it with my eyes, not my toes), and then a little later when I heard that wheezing noise that often precedes throwing up, and went in to see if she was on the desk, and she was standing IN A BIN FULL OF YARN. Where I have never seen her go before, but she had to be in there when she felt like being sick? (I pulled her out, and she was not sick, in the yarn or otherwise, but still. She's lucky to be alive.)

But anyway, Sunday's plans involved joining friends for the historic house tour in Little Compton, Rhode Island. And it was fun, it was, but a long day. The drive each way is over an hour and a half, and then there was the driving from house to house, and walking around the houses, and don't get me wrong, it was beautiful and a nice day (well, kind of muggy when the breeze stopped) and lovely houses, but I got home eight and a half hours later feeling beyond tired, absolutely exhausted. Like, when I say "I was so tired," I don't mean, "Oh, gosh, I'm rather sleepy." It's more like what "angry" meant to Bruce Banner and the Incredible Hulk. And not coincidentally, when I'm that tired, I get super-impatient with stupid little things like meowing cats and electronics behaving badly. And the iPad was being really slow (it's been showing its age that way lately), so I put it down and picked up the Nexus 7, and when it wouldn't work at all, well.

Boom.

(It's not a behavior change that could be the sign of a brain tumor, either; I remember a time as a teenager when, annoyed about something and tired on top of it, I pulled off my turtleneck while forgetting that I'd been wearing a necklace over it. Broke the chain, naturally, and I was so mad about it ... I fantasized about a room full of breakable things I didn't care about, that I could smash without regret. So. You know. This is me. Unfortunately.)

The frosting on the annoyance is that in having done this, I have added to my to-do list...

Which means that, while I did enjoy watching the Bruins preseason game, on NESN, with all the good old homer announcers and all, and the kids played decently and even won, I was just so tired and annoyed that it wasn't a great evening. Which is unfortunate, given how good most of the weekend was.

So, I may just go into the AT&T store and see what they have in tablets, but who has recommendations? Small enough to carry around, but not phone-small?

Or, maybe it is time to take the plunge, as I was thinking I might do next year: should I go for an on-the-large-side phone instead? I have been getting a little tired (literally) of carrying phone and tablet and camera.

Thoughts? Opinions? Pros and cons?

4 comments:

  1. Aren't there some small tablets that have good cameras in them? Or a good phone/camera combo? I've seen some lovely shots taken with i-phones.

    I was stupid when I got my last phone and the camera in it stinks. I'm leaning toward a Galaxy but it won't be until spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My new tablet is huge, so I don't recommend it just based on the size... but I like it. Jeff got an LG G-Tab X 8.3, which is smaller -- it's 8.3" on the diagonal. He really likes it. The camera okay, I think. (The camera on mine isn't great, but I don't really care that much, since I don't use it for photos much anyway.)

    I have heard from several people that the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 is a really good tablet/phone (or, as they call it, "phablet," ugh.) I was thinking I might get that one when it's time to upgrade my phone. I'm ditching the iPhone as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wait, no, his is a G-Pad, not a G-Tab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No recommendations on the tablet but, no no no no no on the yarn bin. That seriously gave me the shivers. Put a lid on it, stat! Also on the Sunday trip; that is the reason I never schedule things on Sunday. I like to be home on Sunday because I don't want to end up exhausted the day before I have to go to work.

    Oh, congrats on finishing the blanket! I look forward to pictures.

    ReplyDelete