Thursday, March 12, 2015

Week of Tired and Ice

I know that I am not alone in being so tired this week; a lot of us struggle with the time change, and whether I had that headache at the beginning of the week because of the time change, or whether it just added to the difficulty of dealing with the time change, doesn't make much difference. It's been hard, and I've been struggling.

For instance, when I was home with that headache hangover on Monday, I never even showered. I did Tuesday morning, obviously, but when I went to shower Wednesday morning, I realized I must have been fairly out of it the day before, because although I had turned the water off, I didn't flip the lever back that switches the water flow from the shower-head to the faucet, something I normally do without even thinking about it. In other words, on Wednesday morning when I went to turn the water on, it came out of the shower-head and all over my head, giving me something close to a heart attack in the process. I was already feeling deadly tired Wednesday morning, the kind of tired I get some nights when I have not begun to get ready for bed before I hit that wall, the one where instead of being able to get ready, all I want to do is sit there and think dazedly, "Oh my god, I'm so tired!" The waterfall did not help my morning.

So I was that tired all day, and by later afternoon, I could see I wasn't in a good place mentally, so I went to my boss and asked whether it would be okay if I came in late Thursday, so I could really get some sleep. (Fortunately, we're not super-busy right now.) She said sure, bless her, and I was in bed last night at 8. I read for about 10 minutes before turning the light off, and though I got up a few times for biology and/or cats, you can imagine how much better I felt when I got out of bed this morning at 8:30. Whew! Almost human again! Amazing what a difference 12 hours of sleep makes.

It's a real shame that this week, with all of its problems, is also the week when the weather was, at least temporarily, better, because I haven't appreciated it the way I would have liked to. I mean, not only isn't it snowing, but I've been able to wear something other than my big winter coat, and footwear that isn't my big honkin' snow boots, out of the house for the first time since late January. Snow is melting! Why, look at the car today:
Such a small snow pile next to it! And next door, the bush/tree is visible under the snow; it wasn't for the longest time. There's still plenty, don't get me wrong, but the difference is finally noticeable, and here I am in this haze. Figures. I'm sure it will be cooler again next week, when I'm more compos mentis. It was cooler today than yesterday, for that matter. Irony. At least the sun was out.

*****
I've been looking on my calendar, and for someone who has many a weekend without a single social event, I've got a lot going on in the coming weeks. I mean, the next weekend when I have nothing scheduled is the last weekend in April! (And it's staying that way; particularly after being away the weekend before, I'm sure I'll need it.) It's not that they're all big things, and certainly not bad things, just that, for me, there are a lot. This weekend's is the North Shore Yarn Crawl, which I am attending on Sunday, with friends. Yay for yarn and fun and lunch at Woodman's!

*****
Now, don't think I've forgotten that I promised pictures of the ice that came down from my building. Remember the ice waterfall?
That was on February 10th, and it got worse after this, but you get the idea. I came out Tuesday morning to this.
I would guess it came down Monday, when I was inside being headachy, since the ice boulders were frozen to the ground Tuesday morning, as I found when I tried to kick them out of the way (fortunately I didn't hurt my foot in this discovery). Doesn't it seem as though it tried to avoid falling on my car?
Such considerate ice.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if it's the time change, the unrelenting cold or what but I have been totally exhausted as well. Maybe when Spring finally gets here things will be better. We can hope.

    ReplyDelete