Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Growl, Growl, Trying to Smile

I'm not sure why, but my weather-induced mood was rock-bottom today. Today, when it didn't snow! And yesterday's snow was just a slushy inch, and it actually went above freezing, woo-hoo! Of course, that means lots of meltage that will then freeze solid. Again. In time for tomorrow's snow.

Yes. I am Eeyore today.
And not just that Eeyore, but this one.
I am Marvin.
No, not Bugs Bunny Marvin! Douglas Adams Marvin.
(That's the movie image, it isn't how I imagine him from the books, but it will do.)

I am a delicate, tropical flower, and I am wilting.

I don't think that I am usually a total pessimist, am I? What do you think? I don't mean recently, of course, but usually? I feel like the endless winter makes me a pessimist, while normally, I look on the bright side enough to disgust my teenage self.

It's winter that has killed that in me right now.

I'm not the only one cracking up, either, if you were wondering. I saw this over the weekend.
That's a snowman in the back of a pickup truck.

There was a piece in this morning's Globe on how people around here are either wishing for the city to break the winter record, or are against even one more snowflake, and I shared it on Facebook before I finished reading the paper. A couple of my friends are, sadly, in the oh-why-not-let's-go-for-it camp, which makes me slightly crazy. And in fact, someone at work said that this morning, and I really felt like crying. No more snow. Please. I can't take it.

Then later, someone else said, well, it's warmer today, it's melting! And I said yes, and it will freeze solid tonight, and snow again tomorrow. But it's warmer today! she said. Look on the bright side! And I said, I don't have any bright side left. (I went back after and apologized for snapping at her.)

Basically, if you are one of those people, let's not talk about it. Let's agree to disagree, and talk about something else. And not whether spring will ever come, because no, right now I don't believe it will.

And telling me how many days it is to the first day of spring, like that's actually going to change the weather, is another sore spot. I was only kind of joking when I made myself this sign today.
Actually, I'm not sure what that leaves me to talk about. Everything swings around to the weather again.
  • I wish the Bruins were playing better, I could use something to cheer me up. Oh, wait... (And, of course, one of the players they traded for on Monday broke his finger in practice today, and is out for six weeks. That will cheer me up! Oh, wait...)
  • Work is going all right; I'm glad I have a laptop to work from home in bad weather. Oh, wait...
Well, I can find a couple of things to make me smile, though. Like, I turned the heel on my sock tonight, which always make me smile and think of what I said the first time. "Look what it did! It turned a corner!"
And my hyacinth smells marvelous, and looks lovely too. If you like that sort of thing. Which I do.
I finally got a decent picture of Belmont's latest nap spot.
Bathroom sink, yes. Usually she gets down once I'm around, but I had to move her once and she was most displeased.

Speaking of the bathroom, new wall art.
And, in a back-ass way, the person who has these bumper stickers.
Top center, and lower right. Click to make big.

And if you want to end on an adorable note, kittens who have been washed, and are all puzzled by it.

2 comments:

  1. February is spilling over into March, and I am Not Pleased about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Spring Bulb show at Smith College starts tomorrow and goes until March 21st. I fully intend to go and immerse myself in the perfumes of warm, damp earth and flowers.

    ReplyDelete