Monday, March 23, 2015

Pop Quiz

When I went into the library tonight, I turned to the stairs and nearly walked into a man coming down, since he was on "my" side. I said excuse me, though really it's more his fault, and walked on, thinking, keep right! Which made me wonder, do we tend to walk on the right because we drive on the right side of the road? It's probably a coincidence, but still. 

So here's the question: what country do you live in, if outside the U.S., and do you typically walk on the same side in two-way foot traffic, or not? Anyone?

2 comments:

  1. Stairs, yes, anywhere, I think so, but I am not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to walk on the left (or do that little dance then someone is in the way and neither of you knows which way to go) - and our trains run on the left, but boats go to the right. There is no sense to it

    ReplyDelete