Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Yup, Still Talking About Snow

Before I get into all the continued downside of the snow, I will say that one good thing has come of it: today I talked to the IT guy in California, who was setting up my new laptop. Laptops for editors, hooray! Funny how the office being closed for 5+ days out of 11 made a difference in their policy. Since I have lost confidence in the snow ever stopping, this means I should be able to do work, when there is work to do, and I am snowbound. As I expect to always be.

Well, I'll go in tomorrow. And hopefully the rest of the week, though I sure hope Thursday's/Friday's snow is at the 3-inch end of the estimate, not the 12-inch end. I really want to go in Friday and get the new laptop, since there is more snow forecast over the weekend. No, I'm not kidding. You see why I have lost hope.

Today, like last Tuesday, I could have gone into the office (that is, it was open) but I chose not to. I shoveled the car out, but lacked confidence in the roads (plus all the usual sore hands/arms/shoulders/back/hips). I mean, here's the car this morning, before I shoveled:
And here it is after:
To the right of the car is the snow bank, but to the right of that is the street, not that you can really tell. I just don't think so. Not even to get my performance appraisal.

When I went out this afternoon (shoveling out some of the trash cans, as we haven't been fully picked up lately), I took pictures from ground level. For instance, the impression the nose of the car left in the snow was very detailed.
And the side of the building is doing its usual freeze-over:
This morning's Globe used a sports analogy for how much snow has come down.
I like that they used multiple sports to make the point, and of course I love that they used Bergeron, though using Chara would have messed up their little line there. I also enjoyed a story on Boston.com today, entitled A Breakup Letter to Snow From the City of Boston (key quote: "Because of you, I may need to borrow equipment from New York City. Do you know how embarrassing that is?"). And back to the Globe, this graphic illustrates why the sudden progression is, shall we say, disconcerting.
So does this, from one of the local network news stations (last night or today, when I saw it on Facebook).
Five and a half inches through January 23rd, 71 inches since then (in Boston, anyway, my little city is probably slightly different). This is why I'm still talking about the snow.

Also seen on Facebook, this illuminating picture from Coveted Yarn, up in Gloucester.
Yes, they have a side door. Fortunately.

But there other things to look at, truly. Like flowers, even in winter.
And cats, keeping me company in their own weird ways.

"Why would you take pictures of the touchy thing*, when you could be doing things for me?"
*The iPad.

"What? I waz sleepin."
Looking at them is preferable to looking out there.

2 comments:

  1. Honey, down here with HALF that amount of snow, we wouldn't even be THINKING of going to work. They probably wouldn't get the roads cleared until March.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't believe I've ever seen Belmont so clearly before. She is absolutely gorgeous and I love the freckles on her nose.

    I too am sick of the snow and we have only had about half of yours. Just be grateful we don't live in Worcester - they've had about 88" and have been christened the snowiest city in America.

    ReplyDelete