Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Can I Borrow a Flamethrower?

I've never been a strong believer in the idea that you are given only the amount of troubles in life that you can handle; it sounds nice, but not realistic to me. And lately, well, I was already buckling under the weight of the last month (as you may have noticed), with all the snow on top of everyone else (life, basically); seriously, we went from 5 inches of snow to second-snowiest winter on record in a month, and it's not done yet! Why, we might get 3-5 inches tonight. Or more. Or less. They don't know.

And then the car battery thing.

And then the tire.

And there's a work thing that may be fine or may not...

And then this morning? Clear evidence that a mouse was in my kitchen. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

To backtrack, we condo owners got an email from the property manager back in October, saying that someone's tenants had reported a mouse problem, and was anyone else seeing them? Which I was very glad to say I had not. But a few weeks ago, I heard a noise that seemed odd, and then once in a while I would walk into the kitchen and find a cat staring at the fridge, or the cabinet, which they've never done before. So I was watchful.

This morning, as I first walked into the kitchen, I thought I heard a slight rustling, but I was literally just out of bed, meaning about 7% awake, and I fed the cats and turned on the coffee maker and forgot all about it. But when I went into the kitchen later I remembered, and I looked at the loaf of bread on the counter, and there was a hole in the side of the bag, and a small cave tunneled into the side*. Yuck yuck yuck!
*On a side note, it is a damned good thing that the vermin targeted the bread before, say, the chocolate. Granted, that was on the kitchen table, farther away, but still. I whipped that stuff into a covered glass dish ASAP this morning.

I guess a good blogger would have taken a picture of it, but I just put it in the garbage (which I then took out and it was picked up today), so sorry about that lapse. I turned the computer on and fired off a mayday email to the manager and owners. The property manager says she's getting a quote from the exterminator tomorrow. I hope so! Yuck. I am trying so hard not to freak about it, but it is creeping me out majorly. Please feel free to not share any gross-out stories.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Oh dear. No mice!! Bad mice!!

7:36 PM, February 24, 2015  
Blogger Leslie said...

yeeeeeeeech - mice

Tell Carlos he's the man of the house and go take care of the problem!

7:43 PM, February 24, 2015  
Anonymous JEKC said...

Poor mouse... Not surprised they are looking to move indoors with all that snow outside...

(Not that I'd want one in my kitchen either)

3:49 AM, March 01, 2015  

Post a Comment

<< Home