Thursday, February 26, 2015

Mostly About Knitting, and a little science-nerd humor

It snowed again today. Not "much," if that has any meaning anymore. Someone in the office said that Boston now has over 100 inches this winter, and crowed, "Just 8 more to go for the record!" Like that's a good thing.

I heard someone on the radio this morning say something similar, that if we go through all this and don't set a new record, what's the point, which, I don't know, that doesn't make sense to me. Why does it matter if it ends up being the snowiest winter on record, or the second snowiest? Either way, it's a damned lot of snow.

Let's talk about something else. Pictures will have to wait for daylight (although, the daylight is getting longer! Soon I will be able to take a decent picture after work!), but the current purse sock, which replaced the "heel needs decision, so not a good purse candidate" sock knitting, is moving along swimmingly, close to time for the heel flap. I really missed having purse knitting, the week or so that it took me to realize that the sock in my purse was not right. And in readiness for finishing the bike sock, I selected the next yarn (more Socks That Rock; a few pair have worn out recently, I need more workhorses in the sock drawer). Moving right along! Controlling what I can control!

In non-sock knitting, I also very much enjoyed going to the alternate knitting group last night. It was good to be out of the house, even if we spent a fair bit of time grousing about the weather--somehow that's different than grousing about it to myself, or even here. As an aside, I read an interesting quote recently (the Garner's Usage Tip that I get emailed from Oxford University Press has a quotation of the day):
"Link what you say to the cheerful things of life, and leave out the doleful telling of your ills. If you write too often about your trials and troubles you will give your reader the notion that you enjoy them, or at least that you enjoy them for the pleasure they give you to tell about them." Royal Bank of Canada, The Communication of Ideas 76 (rev. ed. 1972).
Agree, disagree? Thoughts? I have to point out that this was written before blogs, which you might say have a primary purpose of writing about trials and troubles! But does it seem that I enjoy grousing about them? I don't think I do ... but would I notice? I get satisfaction from presenting them well, kind of...

Anyway, knitting! I brought the sweater with me last night, and had a good conversation with fellow knitters about projects in process and startitis. The sweater is very good social knitting, the blanket is good at-home knitting (due to its size), and there's always the purse sock. I need to not be starting more things! I have plenty in progress already, as it is.

Speaking of the blanket, I want to get a bin or tote to put by the couch for it, since it is rapidly outgrowing the tote bag it's in; I'm thinking that when I clean out the kitchen closet, a project I have earmarked for Saturday, I can de-stuff-ify enough to clear one for this use.

*****
In closing, I don't know if anyone here has anything to do with medical or scientific stuff (to use the technical term), but if you ever deal with P values, you should find this as amusing as we did at work.
Take my word for it, it's funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment