Tuesday, September 03, 2013

A Warp in the Space-Time Continuum

I came to the computer to report on a knitting problem, and I really honestly wasn't cross about it, it's fine and I have a plan and while I'm here I'll just copy the new pattern I want to use out of the book -- and the printer about had kittens, first claiming that it had a mysterious error and must be turned off and on, then doing that again, and then taking forever in the "I'm 'copying' now (when really all I'm doing is making random whirring and clicking noises)' phase before claiming that it had NO paper even though I put paper in literally yesterday, and it turned out that when it said NO paper what it MEANT was paper JAM instead. I turned it off and back on and went away to cool off while it woke up for the fourth time. (Yes, I had to cool off while it warmed up. No wonder we don't get along.)

Then I came back, to start writing this, and when I had typed "I came to the computer to report on a knitting problem, and I really hon" I looked up to see that the screen had only " really hon" because Blogger hiccuped or something, and you should feel the stress in my shoulders from all this. I mean, okay, first world problems, but still, annoying. Clearly something folded over itself in the space-time continuum and things got trapped. Yup. That's my theory.

OK, so the problem! I was knitting on the new purse sock before the chiropractor tonight, and felt uneasily that it might not be big enough. Once home, I took it out and compared it to the bike sock, and then to a finished sock, and decided no, it might almost-kinda-sorta fit, but not properly, and why not do it right? And since I was only this far in:
I ripped it. I'm not sorry I started it when I did, but now I can try a toe-up pattern the way I was thinking of anyway. I pulled Wendy Johnson's Socks from the Toe Up off the shelf, and picked the Dead Simple Lace Socks pattern. And now I'm going off to try casting that on, because tomorrow after work I have to take the car in for an oil change, and I can't do that without knitting, now can I?

P.S. Wish me luck with copying this pattern. If the printer doesn't want to, it may get thrown through the (closed) window after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment