Friday, July 20, 2007

Wait, I do that

You know, you would be excused for not knowing, from reading this exercise in plumbing the depths of my random thought-generator, that I do still knit. But I do! I do, my friends. And herewith I provide recent, undoctored photographic proof (though of course you have to take my word for the recentness and the undoctoredness of the photographs, but life is imperfect that way).

There is ... the second sock, mate to the first:


It's coming nicely, but every once in a while my hands get the fidgets from the little needles and I need to work on something else, so I started the scarf with the latest pretty yarn I bought:


I rather like the combination of yarn and pattern. Here's a closer-up shot:


I even kind of like it from the "wrong" side:


Which is handy, as otherwise I'd have to figure out some way to deal with it so that the wrong side never showed (make two and sew them together? make it twice as wide or twice as long and sew the sides together? pin the ends to my clothing so they don't move? liking the wrong side is so much easier). Of course, since it's stockinette, the end is curling up. Stockinette is so like that. I may live with it. I may try to remedy it somehow (suggestions?). I am currently undecided. As you can see by the size, I have plenty of time before I have to decide.

Now, I need to go finish my laundry and perform some kitty maintenance. Pan doesn't seem to realize he has hours of lappiness in store tomorrow (doesn't he know* Harry Potter comes out tomorrow?), and he's fussing. We can't have that. And Harold isn't fussing, but he likes attention too. What with one thing and another, or what with Thing One and Thing Two, I have my evening filling rapidly.

*He's about the only one. I recently read that according to a recent survey, 51% of Americans age 12 and up knew that the next Harry Potter book came out in July. Wow.

1 comment:

  1. Um...if you go for fringe, that might help pull the curl out. Normally, unless you're making a scarf in ribbing or some stitch pattern that lies flat, you always start and end with a few rows of garter or seed stitch - anything that lies flat - in a needle at least one size smaller. That solves the stockinette curling problem. Ditto on the sides; just a 4-6 stitch border usually takes care of it unless it's a really fine yarn, in which case you make a wider border. Or plan from the start to make a double-thick scarf, knit it in the round and seam the open, curling ends together.

    If you don't like the idea of fringe to weight it down, about the only remedy is to frog and start over, I'm afraid. Blocking is never going to conquer the curl.

    Good going on the sock, and I really do love the yarn you're using for the scarf!

    ReplyDelete