Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The End of the Rainbow

A while back, I wrote that I was taking part in the Mother's Day Project, and then I updated that I had started it, but was not liking my first try at it, so I needed to undo and redo "my" name.


Done. As I wrote previously,
I want to choose a rainbow of colors for the letters of her name, because the arc of a rainbow is like a bridge that carries us over the hard times, and sometimes all we have is the hope that we will get through the hard times, so I think that's what the colors will represent for me.
I thought about stitching other things, symbols, objects around her name, which was allowed, but it didn't feel right for some reason. The colors felt like enough for me. Her name will go with the others on the bag, and when it's my turn I'll carry the bag, and I'll think of her and the other women.

What we're doing? It may not change a thing. But who knows?

There's a song by my favorite group, Depeche Mode, called Black Dress, and the chorus goes like this:

You can't change the world
But you can change the facts
And when you change the facts
You change points of view
If you change points of view
You may change a vote
And when you change a vote
You may change the world

4 comments:

  1. That really looks great. Whether or not it changes anything of significance in the world, it has changed you . . . and that's valuable. Don't underestimate the power of small changes in even one heart. ;o)

    Doesn't David Ghan have quite the voice? Vern's quite the DM fan, and I like a lot of their earlier dance stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yeah. Simple and perfect. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm conflicted about the value I find in symbolic political gestures, but I can't help but think that any kind of action is better then no action at all. And that we all contribute to change in the ways that suit us best.

    And that, as your friend said so well, you act has significance to you and has changed you in some way.

    And, sadly, the symbolic gesture is sometimes almost all that is open to us.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent lyrics. Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete