Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Context is truly Everything!

I saw this on Monica's blog, and had to try it for myself (baaaaaaa). Much to my surprise, I rated:



It does tell you what words it bases the rating on, and other than the word "hurt", which is kind of easy to use in ways that are appropriate as well as inappropriate (my usage was from going to a comedy show and laughing until my face hurt, which I am not going to apologize to the kids for), I was very surprised by the words that they said I'd used. Did I blog those words? I say them, sure, but did I really write them? Here? I turned to the search function, and found that I had indeed used them, but had to laugh when I saw where and how.

In a knitting blog, "stitch and bitch" is not really an unusual expression, and while it isn't a phrase I would use in front of the smallest, most innocent child, I think my blog isn't really meant for the smallest child, either. Would they enjoy it? Is it written at their level? I think not. Perhaps "knitting group" is less likely to offend, but really ... PG-13 for that?

Then there was the recent post where I mentioned Anne Lamott's concept, in writing, of shitty first drafts. This did result in the use of "that word" twice ... uh-oh, three times, now. I'm digging myself in deeper and deeper! How do you discuss the problem without making it worse?

Seriously, I still don't think I'm throwing the expletives around, and I think it's likely that children wouldn't read my blog because they'd be bored, rather than titillated. However, so be it. If I am to be rated PG-13 for such language ... there are worse things, I imagine.

Now, it is late for such as me. Along with several members of my (ahem) knitting group, I was at a trivia night at a local pub, where we came in a close second, good enough for a $15 gift certificate and to be entered in the tournament in a couple of weeks. I wasn't the strongest member of the group (if only the sports questions were hockey once in a while, instead of always baseball!), but I got a couple! It was fun, but it is late, late, people.

Oh, and the pesto? Turned out pretty darned good. And since edible was my goal, I'm pleased.

Next time, we have to talk about knitting. The stitch pattern in my lap blanket has a snag. Do I live with it, try to figure out and fix what went wrong, or give up on the project and try something different? I'll try to photograph it, but it may not want to be captured, and I'm too tired to do it now anyway. Maybe tomorrow, or if it's not until Thursday, happy 4th of July!

2 comments:

  1. LOL - y'know, it's a good thing you're not a dog breeder...

    Congrats on the gift certificate and the pesto! A snag? As in it's not coming out right, or there's a literal snag?? Good luck with a picture, whenever.

    And Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee...and here I thought Timing was everything...or was it Attitude? I fergit...thanks for the giggles!

    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete