Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Movie Ratings in 2024 So Far

There haven't been a ton of movie ratings to catch my eye so far this year, other than this handful and the one that I couldn't wait to show you, a month ago. (Here was the last longer one.) But here are a few.

Safe to say I'm not the target audience for Mean Girls. That sounds unpleasant.
Multilingual profanity, on the other hand...
I'm not sure I want to know what this is like.
Same with "explicitly" here.
No, no, no thank you. 
Ha! I like that one. Not that I plan to see the movie--I liked the first one, but I don't think I even saw 2 or 3.

In June, Mom and I will be going to see The Muppet Movie in the theater*--that's much more my style than most of these.

*Again--we saw it in 2019. Perfectly happy to see it again!

10 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Mean Girls. It's the movie version of the musical, not a revamp of the original movie. I had recently seen the touring company Mean Girls, and it was good. This movie was also good enough. And it helped that I saw it in a theater with cocktails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen any of them! I guess I'm not the target audience. Drinks would help, I'm sure!

      Delete
  2. I liked the first Kung Fu Panda too but haven't seen the others. The French/Wolof film sounds interesting although depressing. (too realistic) I should mention it to my older daughter who speaks both languages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a movie in French once that was subtitles into English, and my French isn't great but I wasn't the only who laughed when a character said "merde," which means shit, and the subtitle said "darn." Not quite!

      Delete
  3. I laughed when I got to the last one--for the sense of relief, I think. Such a switch in tone from the ones above! Yeah, I'd go see the Muppets--and probably bore my grandkids with the story of meeting a guy in grad school whose father had been close friends with Jim Hensen so Hensen had named a character after our friend: who got stuck with reactions of disbelief to the name Kermit for the rest of his life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for everyone kung fu fighting (but not the panda fighting movie--ugh).

    I'd go see the original Muppet Movie in the theater anytime. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm contemplating writing a blog post about this, but the Mean Girls mention of teens cursing is related to an article from Vox about how cursing changes over time and how words that are taboo now weren't always and vice versa. Maybe I will write a post about this, but I want you to know that I older than 40 and I do clutch my pearls when I hear young people use the word c***.
    https://www.vox.com/culture/24098830/holy-shit-brief-history-profanity-melissa-mohr-what-the-f-benjamin-bergen-praise-michael-adams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So interesting! It makes sense that things would shift over time--I notice that my mother will often say "oh, sugar bear" where I would say "oh shit," for instance. I'm with you on the c-word, though.

      Delete