Thursday, March 07, 2024

Book Reviews: What's In a Name?

I've read two Shakespeare-related books recently (I know, such an English major), and they could NOT be more different! So different that it amuses me.

1.

The first was called Shakespeare Was a Woman & Other Heresies: How Doubting the Bard Became the Biggest Taboo in Literature, by Elizabeth Winkler, which I got from the library.

When I say that I am not recommending this book, I mean generally, because it isn't a topic that most people will be interested in such a deep dive into. No judgement, I swear! It's not for everyone, fine and valid. But if you look at it and think, oh, interesting, then I do recommend it. 

I will note that the author is not strongly pushing that a woman wrote the plays attributed to William Shakespeare of Stratford; I almost feel the title is a bit of click-bait, since the was-it-a-woman argument is probably the least developed. But she did a lot of research and talked to a lot of people on multiple sides of the argument (there's only "both sides" if you simplify it to yes-William and no-William, but there are a lot more sides than that once you're in), and I found her writing compelling me to agree with the no-William side, though not 100% convinced for any of the choices she presents. If I had to pick one, I would probably go with Christopher Marlowe, but is that just because he was the last one she digs into? Maybe? I don't know, she makes such a good case for him...

Anyway! A good book for those who are interested.*
*I once read a movie review where the reviewer's attitude was a very dismissive, almost contemptuous, 'if you like this sort of thing, you'll like this movie,' and I was incensed, so I hope I'm not striking that tone here. No condescension at all from me.

2.

The second book is one I got an advance copy* of, called Hamlet is Not OK, by RA Spratt, which is a young adult (or maybe more young reader/middle grade) book and comes out in July.
*Thank you to IPG/Penguin AU for providing this book for review consideration via NetGalley. All opinions are my own.

In the book, Selby is in trouble for blowing off her homework, and ends up with a tutor who helps her get into Hamlet--literally. (This is not a spoiler, as it's part of the initial description that they wind up within the play.) I liked Selby, even if I didn't relate to her (I mean, how much could I relate to someone who hates reading? though I appreciated the distinction she makes between reading and stories): she's written very believably, and her voice and attitude come across strongly. 

Also, the implausible plot is handled very plausibly, if that makes sense. With the caveat that I was reading this as a 55-year-old, not a teenager, and as one whose favorite Shakespeare play has always been Hamlet, so I know it very well, I absolutely enjoyed the book. There were a few plot twists that really got me, too! but I'll avoid the spoilers on that. Two thumbs up.

As a side note, both books mention a couple of things:

  • Freud--I didn't know how much he was interested in Shakespeare.
  • cryptic (in 1, discussion of the use of cryptic messages being common back in the day, and in 2, "And yet every line of dialogue is as confusing as a cryptic crossword."

Not groundbreaking, I know, but I wanted to point it out.

Have you ever read two books that both did and didn't tie together like this? Do you think you would have noticed if you hadn't read them one after the other? It's not quite the same thing, but I used to read a lot more mysteries, until I hit a long string of serial killers and just got fed up with it.


14 comments:

  1. I love Shakespeare too and Hamlet is also one of my favorites although I also enjoy his comedies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In life generally, I am more of a comedy person, too, but I had an awesome teacher in high school and she just made Hamlet this amazing thing. I've loved it ever since.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know you were an English major! Now that I'm thinking about it - I don't even know what you do for work! Are you comfortable sharing? I know I'm nosy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all, I'll be glad to dig into the topic!

      Delete
  3. A couple of years ago I read two non-fiction books, one called How To Be A Victorian and the other was called Birth and the stuff about maternal and baby health in the Victorian overlapped and I was scarred for life. So sometimes this happens, but it's rare, right? Oh, I read a few fantasy books in a row that mentioned oubliettes, which I thought was weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does seem like quite a coincidence! And yes, sometimes the detail in books like that can be a bit much. Too much truth for me!

      Delete
  4. What an interesting comparison. This may not be exactly the same but I read the Book Woman of Troublesome Creek and The Giver of Stars back to back on accident, and it was interesting to see the two different books both portray the same group of people (the packhorse librarians in Kentucky) from two different viewpoints. The funny thing is that I did not know they were about the same topic; they just happened to both come off the hold shelf at the same time! I am with Nicole -- tell all please! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember there being some mild "controversy" about the two authors having coincidentally written about the same thing! I bet it would be interesting, but confusing, to read them one after the other.

      Delete
  5. So...I've been fascinated for decades about the AntiStratfordians. I used to think Marlowe (my cat's name!) was a strong candidate, too. Then a bunch of stragglers started putting forth a lot of dumb candidates like Anne Hathaway (!?) and I was out.

    Also, all the cryptogram stuff irritated me. But it really was A Big Thing during that era when people--especially those in the upper echelons--had lots of time to labour over such things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book's case for Marlowe was strong! I think that there's simply no way to prove a woman was involved, at this remove. Now, if we had a time machine!

      Delete
  6. I kinda think whoever wrote Shakespeare doesn't care now if we credit him/her/them or not.

    Also, that sample page made me laugh out loud: that author knows teenagers. Mine wouldn't have stomped but they'd have told me they wanted to.

    Also, the head of the English department at my university was named, I kid you not, and boy howdy did his parents typecast him into the job when they saddled him with it: Bill Shakespeare.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I try really hard not to read the same kinds of books back to back (genre wise), but this is a whole different situation! I would need a Shakespeare break after all that. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's fortunate that there's no more Shakespeare-adjacent reading in my book pile right now!

      Delete