Tuesday, March 19, 2024

More Yarn! A Coping Mechanism

I don't think I am finding life quite as madly stressful these days as I was, say, last August, when Mom had fallen for the first time and it felt like the world had landed on my shoulders. But I am, it must be admitted, buying yarn at a similar pace to what I was then. Preemptive stress reduction technique? Possibly. Well, whatever the reason, here's some new stuff.

I first bought from Dye Mad Yarns last fall, and got some more of this lovely stuff, in two colorways that go nicely together (always a relief when what you think worked on-screen works in reality as well). 

And this is some more from Blu Fiber, which I first ordered from, ah, in February. Hey, they had a sale! These two won't be used together: the grey is cashmerino in fingering weight and the multi-green-blue is DK-weight cashmerino.
Finally, on Saturday, most of my knitting group took a day trip to Sarasota for the Miss Babs trunk show there. 

I bought a few things.
The skein on the left is the one I bought this time, to go with the skein on the right, which I already had; thanks to advice from Babs herself, they go together really well. This is Sojourn, which is a divinely soft cashmere-silk blend. I'm thinking these will be a cowl.
Miss Babs Yowza, which is DK weight, don't know what these will be.
And a few Yummy 2-Ply Toes, which are small skeins of fingering weight merino. I just liked how these looked together.
Finally, a non-Babs purchase, this set is from Emma's Yarn
I took them out of the package very carefully to keep them in order, before I noticed that they are labeled that way! Great detail.
Which meant I could grab them by the handful and not fret about the way they had been laid out before.
While I was getting things entered into Ravelry on Sunday, I looked over to admire the picture:
Pretty colors, happy sigh.

As a footnote, if you were reading here last January, you may remember the massive yarn giveaway that I was the recipient of (who could forget?). Well, I saw the same woman last week, and she said ... wait for it ... that she has more yarn to give me! Can you imagine? I have so many questions!

  • Did she not in fact give me all her yarn last year? The nine giant lawn-and-garden-size bags weren't ALL? Or has she bought more since? 
  • If this was yarn she kept back, given how fantastic the yarn she did give me was, what did she keep? Because that was some nice yarn! Is it, as a friend suggested, spun from unicorn hair? 
  • How much yarn can it be? She said that her daughter was visiting and, after asking her when the last time she knit anything was, suggested it might be time to get rid of this yarn.* So, it must be enough to be visible, right? Not just a bit stuffed in the back of a closet, I mean. 
  • She said that it was in bins, and that she might give it to me in those, instead of putting it in garbage bags, was that okay. I told her honestly that whatever worked for her was fine, but afterward, I was thinking, bins? Plural? How many?!

*Rather rude of her daughter, it sounds to me, but then again maybe I should thank her

I of course will ask her none of these things. She said it might be June* before she gets things organized, which I again said was fine, whatever works for her...but every time I think of it, I wonder.
*Which is when her daughter will be here again, and can "help"

Stay tuned!

12 comments:

  1. You know I'm a sucker for blues and the Sojourn is heavenly. Such serene colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love blues too, and I look forward to how soft that will be wear---you know, once I knit it up.

      Delete
  2. This internal dialogue was hilarious to read...and then you say: "I of course will ask her none of these things." Haha.

    Also: is it spun from unicorn hair? I am laughing out loud.

    That's a lot of yarn. I'm wondering where she stored it all! If you get it in bins I want pictures!! I'm picturing her showing up at your house with several dumpster size bins of yarn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was imagining last time that she must have a whole room full of it! Now, I just don't know. She said something about not needing to keep "as much" as she has kept...

      Delete
  3. OH MY GOD SO MUCH YARN HOW MUCH YARN CAN THERE BE
    (and it's not cheap, either--don't tell her daughter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am assuming money is no object! And heaven knows I spend plenty on yarn myself. But still.

      Delete
  4. I mean. If the bins are in the way, I can definitely see a daughter saying "look, it'd be *really nice* for you to more easily get to what you regularly need." (ditto if there are worries about pests)

    (did one of my grandmas build up her house with boxes of stuff and bags of stuff until there was one little track running from point A to point B? yep. Was it functional? nope.)(but she had less ultra-fancy yarn and more "someone might want this 2-foot stack of styrofoam meat trays sometime!" and "I know I already have 8 bags of VHS tapes of things I've recorded that I might want to watch or tell someone else to watch, but *this* program sounds really good so..." [so then there ended up being 12+ bags? which first prevented her from sitting on the sofa in front of the TV and ultimately got between her and the VCR?])

    But yes, honestly, it sounds like there are probably a lot of bins. But if someone has yacht-lifestyle money and decides to put it into yarn instead of a yacht and its maintenance, I could see that happening easily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly understand putting it into yarn instead of a yacht, but I would, wouldn't I? Of course, for all I know, she has a yacht too---add that to the list of things I can't really ask her.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like quite a yarn windfall! I am very interested to see what you end up getting.

    Also, I am not a knitter but I find photos of these beautiful skeins so soothing. I bet it is even more soothing you have them somewhere nearby where you can pet them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It very much is! I have been known on stressful days to have a skein of yarn on my desk to squeeze as needed. Knitter's stress ball!

      Delete
  6. Wow. Bins, yet! And your new yarn is already so happy-making!

    ReplyDelete