Tuesday, March 12, 2024

How I Read

Engie wrote about her reading habits recently, and I thought I would answer the same questions she did, so here goes!

1) How do you define mood reading and are you a mood reader?

I sometimes find I’m not in the mood to pick up one book or another at a given time, but is that what this means? I don’t think outside circumstances affect what I read, though.

2) Do you have a TBR? Do you stick to it?

I keep lists of books that are coming out soon, to request from the library, but I don’t do any of the challenges or top lists. Sometimes I’ve read about a book, sometimes someone mentions it and it sounds appealing, so I pop off to @mazon and read the sample, to get a taste of it… it’s kind of random, actually, and I often don’t remember by the time I get it where I heard about it.

3) Do you cry reading books? If so, what books have made you cry?

Almost never really cry over a book, though I might tear up a little. 

4) Do you use reading to escape, learn, or critically reflect?

Escape, definitely, that’s the main one. To learn sometimes. I don’t think I ever pick up a book to be critical.

5) What is a book that made you laugh out loud?

Ummm, nothing is coming to mind.

6) What is a book that you don't really know how to feel about?

Hmmm. The problem with this question for me is that I don't generally finish books I'm not enjoying in some way, and since I don't keep a list of DNFs, it's hard to call one to mind. I guess I'll go back in time to a book I used to own, and read multiple times, despite not liking the protagonist at all. It's called The Travels of Maudie Tipstaff by Margaret Forster, and Maudie is a bitter, narrow-minded person but yet I read the book! More than once! Why? I can't answer that.
P.S. I ordered a copy to read again, so we'll see what I think of it now.

7) Are you more likely to read on a sunny day or a cloudy day?

Weather doesn’t matter. I read, period.

8) Do you usually "set the mood" when you read? Candles, lights, etc.?

Nope. I want to be comfortable, and that might lead to a blanket on my lap (which often leads to a cat on my lap), but no mood-setting required.

9) Can you leap from book to book or do you need buffer time between books?

I wouldn’t say I need buffer time, but sometimes I want a buffer between similar types/styles of books. If I just read a great book with dragons, say, then I might not pick up another book with dragons to be next.

Any follow-up questions? Or want to answer any or all of them yourself? Have at it!

8 comments:

  1. I'm a mood reader (except for Book Club), have no TBR list, cry frequently reading books, laughed a lot at "The Rosie Project," like to escape or learn, don't know how to feel about the Bible, read in any weather, don't set any particular mood and often read a couple books at the same time. If my Book Club book is particularly heavy, I need a cleanser to jump to periodically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good summary! Yes, a cleanser of a light book after a heavy one is a good idea.

      Delete
  2. Love this questionnaire! So fun to read about others' reading habits. I would always prefer to read a cat on my lap, but alas, I lack a cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie is probably on my lap more often than she isn't, when I'm sitting down, and sometimes she makes it clear that she is ready for me to sit down, now! "Make a lap, I'm coming up" as I read in a book once (with talking animals, obviously: it was one of the Wizard of Oz series).

      Delete
  3. Thanks for answering these questions. I love hearing about how other people read. Because I don't really buy books much, I never use the Amazon sample. I'm fascinated that you use it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use it before I borrow books from the library! I think of it as the online equivalent of opening a book at the library and reading a page or two before deciding if I want to borrow it. Not that borrowing a book is the same commitment as buying it, but I figure, if the first page is going to turn me off, why not learn that before I borrow?

      Delete
  4. Oh, that's such a good trick to use the Amazon sample before deciding if you want to read a book! Smart!

    I am 100% NOT a mood reader. If anything, I need to be more flexible to read what I'm in the mood for - not to be so structured with my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is SO interesting to me how many different ways readers approach reading!

    ReplyDelete