Wednesday, March 06, 2024

Book Review: In the Society of Women (Ladies Occult Society Book 3)

I mentioned in a post after the holidays that I had read some good new-to-me books:

...the last two that I read in 2023, in the Ladies Occult Society series, A Magical Inheritance and A Ghostly Request, by Krista Ball--it's basically Jane Austen but with magic, and so so so well done. I can't recall the last character I was rooting so strongly for, and please tell me at once if you read them because the third book comes out March 1 and I am really hoping for a scene where Elizabeth gets to tell her father, in front of others, just why she (redacted redacted spoilers argh).

These books are SO good, and I was very excited for the third one. I re-read the first two, a little nervous that I was overselling them in my own mind, but no, just as good.

I raced through the third, eager to find out What Happens*, and then it ended and I said, oh. Oh. This is not a three-book series. Whoops, did I know that? If so, I forgot! 
*Spoilers! So many spoilers! That I am not writing about!


Look what's coming in December. Argh. December! (At least it does spell out, The finale to the Ladies Occult Society series.)

So now I have to wait for the conclusion, which is somewhat crushing, to be honest, but at least it means I will get more of this wonderful series, right? Trying to look on the bright side.

Because they're really good. Seriously, Jane Austen but with an occult angle? And it's so plausible? (Not like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, which was amusing but really not convincing, as I recall it.) So good. 

I'm not pushing anyone to read it if that description doesn't grab you (my motto, always, is that every book is not for every reader, and that's all right), but if it does? Read these books. And then let's talk about them.

5 comments:

  1. This isn't usually my genre, but I do like magical things and Jane Austen so perhaps I would? Three book series are so common that I don't blame you for assuming that this one would be also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went looking and there's another series with the same title but part of the Harem Fantasy Adventure and it is NOT THE SAME. Oh, my!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to get it from the school library next time so I can have it for longer than seven days!

    ReplyDelete