Thursday, March 14, 2024

A Pressing (ha) Question

I'm working on the write-up about my experience at boarding school, but in the meantime: is anyone else a dental wimp? Can anyone explain to me why toothbrushes labeled "soft" are in fact not at all soft? My mouth is definitely a delicate one, and the new brush that I just got at the dentist's a few weeks ago, which claims to be soft, is so firm (by my standards, at least) that it's painful. And this isn't the first time I've experienced that!

Are the ones labeled "extra soft" or "ultra soft" actually any better?

I'm tempted to buy one that's labeled "firm" because I just can't believe they're that much harder. How can they be?

Please weigh in. Thank you.

8 comments:

  1. Huh. Has it always been that painful? If it's something new that's definitely something to mention to the dentist. Me, I've always preferred firm ones but my dentist told me not to, to use soft ones instead. Oh okay. But I'm not sure there's always that much of a difference anyway, though occasionally there definitely is. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, old news, I'm afraid. I'm such a delicate flower.

      Delete
  2. I use what the dentist gives me and have never even looked at what it is! Does it hurt your gums? Are you experiencing any inflammation or receding? (dentist's granddaughter here)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, they're treating me for this and that, my mouth is a mess, apparently. Bad genes. Thanks, dad!

      Delete
  3. Huh. I use an electric toothbrush and I don't even think there are options. I feel like if using a soft toothbrush was a problem, I'd get my gums looked at, but I see a periodontist every six months, so gums are ALWAYS my personal problem. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've been fussing about my gums for a while. Some days I'm just so over it and all the annoyances.

      Delete
  4. I am also a delicate flower! Historically my various dental providers gave out extra-soft toothbrushes after each visit. In the past year or so, however, these brushes have turned into "soft" versions, which are NOT soft, as you observed.

    I have been searching both in-store and online for extra-soft brushes forEVER, it seems. I ordered these: https://a.co/d/ab1V6hX, which are nice and soft but the head is smaller than I prefer. So I recently ordered these: https://a.co/d/43XqmrX.

    It's tough to figure out what "soft," "extra-soft," "ultra-soft" actually mean, so I'll be splashing out until I find the ONE. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks--good luck to you, too! I'm going to see if I can find any in the store that claim to be more-softer-than, and if not, I'll try ones from online.

      Delete