Monday, August 24, 2015

Yaaawwwwnnnnn

Being an adult for hours at a time--I'm out of practice! Even though I didn't have to go into the office until 10, and I left at 4 to bring the computer equipment home to set up, I was still worn out by it. I came through the door removing the business casual shirts, the grown-up shoes, the jewelry. Whew!

Honestly, I've been so spoiled by unemployment, it was hard to set the alarm and get up when I was still tired. Whine, whine, whine. But it did all go pretty well. The computer was there when I got there, set up for me and sent by the IT guy in NY, but there was no power cord: my boss said that he had told her he had to order a new one, and it was scheduled to arrive today. Someone else let me use his for a few hours, to get the machine going, so with IT's help I was able to log in, make sure email worked, all that. I printed out the HR forms I had to do; the whole re-starting process has been a mix of "we know you" and "who are you, anyway?". My email account, reactivated, had hundreds of messages that the IT guy deleted, that had come in since I left 15 months ago. And they're supposed to be able to re-start contributions to my 401(k) without my reapplying for that. But I had to fill out the emergency contact form and the tax forms and direct deposit, just as if I was really new. Part of that may be because HR used to be handled by a woman in NY and now it's done in the UK, so who knows what files went where, but still, it's weird.

Anyway, I wasn't able to scan the forms there to send in (which theoretically I should have been able to do), so I just scanned them now, post-stitch and bitch, and sent them. I reviewed the editorial guide for a refresher. I sat around wondering if the power cord was ever going to arrive, but finally it did, along with a new keyboard and mouse (the IT guy said that he was told to "roll out the red carpet" for me--which apparently means I get the new keyboard and mouse, though the computer itself is not new. Whatever, it works.). They let me bring home a monitor, too, which I much appreciate, I would hate to have to work just from the little laptop screen. And yes, my brother, as you advised, I brought home a network cable in case my wifi misbehaves.

I got it all set up, though it is a little crowded at the moment.
I am buying another desk from a former colleague who's moving, so I'll be able to spread out more, soon.

Man, I'm tired! And both cats want my attention, but not together, and ... I've got to go now.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on weathering this latest funemployment and on getting the equipment you were actually promised in a timely fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although the work area is a trifle crowded I see you have the important elements in place, including the teddy bear for comfort and the soda to keep you rolling along.

    Seriously, I'm glad they had the equipment there (except for power cord) and you weren't too stressed out. Now you can work in bare feet, only dealing with Carlos and Belmont instead of loud conversations and other unwanted distractions.

    ReplyDelete