Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Resuming the Resume leads to...

Yesterday I finished updating my resume and posted it online at Monster and Career Builder.

Today, the e-mails started coming in, highly appropriate and selective. Such as:
  • "consider joining MetLife as a Financial Services Representative."
  • interview with Aflac (favorite sentence: "I know your past experience may not have been focused on sales or insurance and you may not have considered a career in insurance sales, but some of our most successful associates had resumes just like yours." I know everyone thinks they're special and unique, but I doubt anyone has a resume "just like" mine, moving through retail, financial, medical device, educational publishing, medical device, educational publishing.)
  • consider Epic, "one of the world's premiere developers of healthcare software." I could "Improve healthcare, get great benefits, and wear jeans to work. (And we'll cover your expenses for the move to Madison.)" Is there a Madison other than the one in Wisconsin? The one more than one thousand miles from me, the person who has indicated I am not interested in relocating?
  • a recruiting firm called Job Serious (seriously?), with a friendly message claiming to have "received" my resume, and concluding with a cheery PS about the weather in my town and theirs, and a PPS: "What do Queen Elizabeth I, Buddy Holly and The Pretenders' Chrissie Hynde have in common? Today is their birthday!"
  • an insurance firm that is "currently interviewing for a full time sales agent position", which I would hate only slightly more than I would suck at doing.
  • a "Part Time Freelance Writer Opportunity" that sounds much like the various write-for-us listings I've seen, with lots of input for not so much compensation. Let's just say I'm hoping for a position that has more of an advantage than "No fees or start-up costs".
Well. It is early days yet.

**********
This is the source of my recent physical discomfort:


I had that sore throat for a few days last week, and have been seriously congested for I don't even know how long since. Sniff. Hack. While I'm glad that HurricaneTropical Storm Earl didn't do a lot of damage around here, he didn't do the pollen cleansing I was hoping he would.

2 comments:

  1. Uhhh, yeah, they all sound _so_ promising. That sucks. If you want me to ask my Boston-area cousins to see if there's anything new, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you getting better now? sore throat is not a lot of fun its just uncomfortable and difficult to swallow.

    usually, i would take the Nim Jiom Cough Syrup which has a thick consistency formulation. it coats the throat and includes herbs that are particularly good for that application, such as platycodon.

    i hope it works on you as well.

    ReplyDelete