Sunday, September 19, 2010

Not So Much a Review as a Summary

When I lived in NC, I went for several years in a row to the Carolina Renaissance Festival, and enjoyed it very much. So when I moved back to MA and heard of a similar-sounding event, King Richard's Faire, I thought about going. However, being the frugal sort, I was turned off by the much higher price tag, and didn't end up going until this year, when I got a discounted ticket.

I don't remember how much the Carolina festival cost when last I went, but I know it was less than it is this year ($19). KRF is $26 this year, but I got a $15 ticket through Groupon, deciding that the savings made it worth trying it out. And I did enjoy the day, though not enough to say with certainty that I Must Go Every Year.

What's it like? Well, there's a lot of this:


Which is especially cute on the shorter folk.


There are entertainments to thrill and impress, like this guy:


Who got crazy with only a little help:


Wow!


Have you seen living statues?


He was a very convincing statue until someone came along:



There was plenty of shopping, mostly of the leather/crystal/costume ilk. This pottery was very pretty, and I like the mug display:


Some things can't really be explained.


Some people's choices can't be explained, at least by me.



There was a falcon...


And an owl.



And while at home I left this cat:


They had big cats. Four-month old tigers, adult tigers, and a liger weighing over 900 pounds. The exhibit of the young ones and the show with all of them was definitely my favorite part.

Of course cats are cats.

Or in their case, kittens.

How cute am I?

Come on, how cute?

Hello?

They like their milk.

You got a problem with that?

The spots on the back of the ears confuse predators into thinking they're looking at them when they're not. The ultimate eyes in the back of your head!



All ages love the milk.

My bottle!

Ooh, I got an itch! (See the back leg?)

You out there, would you taste good?

Kid, stop chewing my leg, would you?
Just a little more...

That's it, right there!

I love you, milk-bringer.

You can see that the liger's 900+ pounds are not all muscle.


Slurp.

Sluuuurp.

Good furry fun.

1 comment:

  1. I went to King Richard's Faire once a while back and really enjoyed it. Like you, we had discount tickets. There was 'way too much to spend money on, and everything was so costly! Eye candy everywhere! I promised myself that next time I went I would 'dress for the occasion' as a scullery or bar maid (vastly different costumes).

    Someday...

    ReplyDelete