Thursday, September 02, 2010

Four weeks left.

I imagine that there are people who enjoy temping, who find the different situations and frequent change to be exciting and challenging. If you know me, you won't be surprised to hear that I am not one of these people.

I want to know my job and the company's products, and expectations, thoroughly. I can proofread anything for errors, but style is a different thing.

I want to get to know the people, know their names, know who enjoys a good gripe about traffic and who wants to get straight to the point. Don't talk to him first thing in the morning; don't bring her a problem without suggested solutions; admire her dog pictures and she'll move you up her list.

I want to have or be able to get any resources I need to do my job, without feeling like I'm asking a lot. If a company works to the Chicago Manual of Style, a reference copy should be provided for the department. I shouldn't have to hunt for a red pen, or a ruler.

I want to feel part of the big picture, the future of the company (even if it's an illusion). I want to care if they're doing well. When the end is in sight, my motivation levels slip.

I need a certain amount of social interaction in the workplace. If I have to get up early, wear socially-acceptable clothes, commute, and try to work in an environment full of people and their noises, then I want to have someone I can talk to about the weekend, the weather, traffic, or whatever's on my mind. Not constantly, but regularly. To me, being surrounded by people yet with no one to chat with is pretty much one of the circles of hell.

And I want benefits. Vacation and holidays, sure, but hey, I'm getting older. Give me health insurance!

Thing I Have Learned From This Job

Some good, some ... good to know.
  • I do want to be a proofreader (assuming I don't, you know, win the lottery, though I understand the odds of that aren't good even if I did ever remember to buy tickets).
  • I don't want to work in Boston, or anywhere I have to get to on the T.
  • Some companies aren't as worried about the details as the last company where I was a proofreader was. (They may be different now, since I assume that after laying off about 1/3 of the company, they're doing some things differently. But when I was there, we really aimed for perfect, and "settled" for very, very good.)
  • I want to work for a company that cares about the details.
  • I like a manager who communicates. I knew I didn't need my hand held all the time, but I also don't want to be left alone for days at a time, especially at the beginning.
Something that's been on my mind recently at work is wondering if they really intend for me to work through October first, or if they might let me go before then, if the work is done. I don't have any reason to think they'll let me go early, or that the work will be finished before then, but I can't help thinking that I don't know any of their schedules, timetables, or plans, so if they do plan this, it's not like I would know.

And I like knowing what to expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment