Monday, November 23, 2009

Who Does She Think She Is?

A small incident at work got me pondering...

I think I'm no one, if you judge by org charts and company hierarchy. That's fine with me. I don't base my success, happiness, or much of anything else on how I rank in the company. Any company.

I think I'm someone who is working hard, at a job that is three jobs in one, trying to do a good job, or at least a good-enough job, in one-third of the time I could use to get everything done well.

I think I'm someone who is not satisfied by doing a "good enough" job, and gets frustrated by having too much work, not enough time.

I think I'm someone who is not good at knowing what answers to give to higher-ups, to the vague team-building questions like "where do you want to be in five years". Someone who has been praised for "thinking outside the box" but doesn't really know where the box is supposed to be.

I think I'm someone who is not good at office politics, who does not see things coming in the larger sense (remember: laid off twice, both surprises). Someone who is really good at the details, but needs help seeing the big picture.

I think I'm someone who hears "Do you know who I am?", either spoken or implied, and wants to say, "Seriously? Grow up."

And I don't see anything wrong with that.

(Here is where, if my scanner was working, I would show a pertinent Get Fuzzy strip, where Bucky, having threatened Rob, and been called on it, says, "I'm comfortable with who I am," to which Rob replies, "Oh, man, tell me about it...." However, the scanner is part of the printer with the phantom paper jam, so ... use your imagination?)

1 comment: