Friday, November 06, 2009

Thank Holy Deity It's Finally the Weekend

I know, and I only worked three days! But being sick is wearing, too, and I've been sick for 7 days now, 8 if you count last Friday's "hmm my throat is a bit sore" day.

I don't feel any better today, though someone told me that my eyes look better than they did, or rather not as bad, so hopefully things are improving behind the scenes. I'm prepared to sleep through another weekend if necessary, though I would sure appreciate enough energy to do things like the laundry that didn't get done last weekend, and the dishes that are piling up in that way they have.

In the meantime, my boss let me leave at 4, which was nice of her, so I've had dinner and am ready to curl up with some ice cream and relax before bed.

This sort of throat situation makes me realize how much I talk to myself. I'm really having trouble not narrating myself through my life, but when I start, I start coughing, so the conditioning is wearing me down. Nothing I've taken so far helps much with the congestion, and since I can't breathe fully through my nose, and when I breathe through my mouth it dries the throat out further, it's rather a mess all around.

I also miss singing along with the radio.

And not being treated like Typhoid Mary. When I told someone at work I was sick and she reacted by stepping closer, patting my back, and saying poor thing, it was a nice change from people stepping back at my approach.

Mind you, I do understand why they step back, and I've done the same thing with sick people, but it's not really fun to be on the receiving end, and after three days of it, I feel rather defensive. I'm not trying to endanger anyone else's health, just keep my job. I stayed out for 2 days, but after being sick for 4, and feeling slightly better, and not wanting to field any more calls from work... I mean, my boss was not one of the people this week telling me I should stay home longer.

I don't have the flu*. I don't have a fever. I'm washing my hands, coughing and sneezing into tissues, and applying Purell frequently. I'm doing everything I can not to spread this around. Just trying to get some work done, that's all.

*Not that I feel the need to go to the germ-covered doctor's office and pay $20 for an official diagnosis. No fever, no body aches, no flu. Doctor Google told me so. Tired and congested sounds like your basic cold to me. (Is there a doctor in the house?) And I'm resting and drinking plenty of fluids. There!

And now I can relax. Have a lovely weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Well, hopefully the weekend will speed your recovery. In case you are still missing your voice and want to try a remedy, my blogfriend Amy G. gave me this suggestion when I lost my voice at the end of this month last year: "Combine the juice of one lemon, a tablespoon of honey and a shot of whatever you like (vodka or gin works well) Start taking a teaspoon of the mixture every half hour before bed so you get in at least a good six doses (don't feel the need to finish it off-unless you want to). By morning things should be breaking up. Old Ukranian recipe."

    It really made a difference after one day, and even more improvement after a second day. Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete