Thursday, November 12, 2009

Still Congested, After All These Years

It's a new day in the thumb saga, because on Monday the doctor told me that it could take 3-10 days to determine if the shot helps (ten! whimper). So of course today, three days later, I am ... hopeful. Or certainly watchful. Wondering.

The bruise is fading, and there is a very slight bump where the shot went. It doesn't even look swollen or scary, just wrong, in the "I just know" way: something is different from the way it usually is. I had an experience of that many years ago, in fact, when I woke up one day to see that the bridge of my nose was swollen. Not "oh my god what's wrong with her" swollen, just wider than usual. For no discernible reason. It was very weird.

Anyway, I had the splint off today after washing my hands and moved the wrong way and ow, we are not healed yet. Waiting is hard, but at least the hope is still there.

In cold news (not the weather kind, the health kind), yes, I'm still congested. You were expecting that to change? And yes, I've tried decongestants, with no noticeable improvement. It does seem to be getting slowly better, emphasis on the slow part. Last night I didn't need a cough drop to get to sleep, or get back to sleep! This is super good news, as I loathe the mentholated cough drops, and granted they work, but it's hard to get to sleep while gagging on the flavor.

I'm sort of tempted to call the doctor's office and ask them if there's anything else I can DO about the congestion. I haven't yet, because I'm pretty sure the answer would be "give it time, rest, drink plenty of fluids, blah blah blah."

But I'm also a little scared that they would suggest ... a Neti pot, and I just can't. I can't. My squeamishness is large enough to need its own zip code (have you noticed that about me?), and if you use one and it's like a little miracle, more power to you, but I just ... can't. Ew. I get queasy just thinking about it.

Anyway, I felt a little closer to my usual self today, which gives me hope that things could be improving. I'm never going to be the Energizer Bunny, but give me the stamina to do laundry this weekend, all right? I don't think I'm asking too much.

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the Neti pot. My zip code also includes contact lenses; there is no way in god's holy heaven that you will catch me putting a foreign object in my eye! I just had a whole body shiver just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about Afrin? Docs at work swear by it and it's over the counter~

    L,

    JLKB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wearing contacts since I was 12, but neti pot? Don't like the sensation of water in my sinuses. No, thank you. But plain saline spray ("Ocean" in the orange and white bottle) has helped me.

    ReplyDelete