Sunday, June 07, 2009

Sunday winds down

I was sitting on the couch reading this afternoon, and not paying much attention to voices from outside. If I thought about it at all, it was to be grateful that the pack of local kids was momentarily doing their yelling elsewhere, instead of favoring me. Eventually, though, a stern male voice penetrated my book-induced haze, demanding to know who did it. I listened for a moment, thinking that some kids must have been playing a prank, and they were in trouble with a dad who had caught them at it. Eventually, I looked outside, and found I was wrong.

Three police cars parked nearby. Three police officers standing around two teen-aged boys. Evidently, not the minor childish offense I was imagining!

I watched for a few moments, but couldn't really tell what was going on. It wasn't violent, no yelling or running, but still, not what I usually see in the neighborhood.

I wish I'd had a camera to hand, though, as the ice cream truck went slowly by the tableau. There's a visual.

I went downstairs to put laundry in, and when I came back, it was all over, no sign of anything ever happening.

The weather map shows storms up in NH-Maine, and on the tip of Cape Cod, but nothing in between. The only reason I mention it is that for the last hour at least, I've been wondering when the rain will start, and Harold is casually hanging out in the bathroom, the only windowless room we have (other than the linen closet). That is one stormy sky out there, for no rain coming.

Which reminds me of a flight I was on once, where the captain asked us to keep our seat belts on whenever we were seated, because although there weren't any reports of turbulence in the area, "someone has to be the first to find it".

Meanwhile, here's another photo from yesterday. Every Spring, there's a goose family around, but this year I seldom saw them at the puffball stage. Already, they're leggy adolescents.


I saw this sign last weekend, and stopped to look at it. "That's wrong, " I said to myself. "I mean, isn't it? Yes? Wrong?" And yes, it is. Wrong.


Lately, I've been making myself one of these smoothies every day. Quite good, and so healthy: juice, yogurt, a banana, and a handful of berries.


Sometimes, though, what I really want is one of these. Not quite as healthy (coffee, milk, caramel?), but even more delicious.


Pretty flowers.



A sky doesn't have to be cloudless to be beautiful.


I hope you enjoyed your weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment