Friday, August 22, 2008

Where I went on Friday

Yesterday, I was looking at the tomatoes that I picked on Monday, and thinking wistful thoughts about how I used to be able to see my garden every day, you know, before I was laid off.

Monday's tomatoes on Monday

Monday's tomatoes on Friday

And I thought, perhaps tomorrow would be a good day to visit the garden, and see how it's doing, sad and lonely without me.

Then last night I dreamed that I went to the garden and all the plants were gone, and in the way of dreams I was trying to tell if I was in the right place and I wasn't sure and it got very confusing, but this morning I decided that I should go. I wouldn't be able to see my former coworkers, who would be off at the sales meeting, but I could visit the tomatoes anyway.

They missed me. You can tell, can't you?


I don't know why these photos unrotated, by the way. Computers are perverse.

I also picked 20 green beans, which made a nice healthy snack this afternoon.

It was so odd, driving back there. It felt at the same time familiar and a bit illicit. I somehow expected to be questioned. (I wasn't.)

And finally, may I introduce you to Basil Winterbourne the Sixth.


I uprooted one of the basil plants, in hopes that he will find a pot in my kitchen to be almost as nice a place to live and thrive as the great outdoors. His leaves got a little (ahem) limp at first, but I'm hoping he'll recover from the shock.

And if not? Pesto!

No comments:

Post a Comment