Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Ironic isn't quite the right word...

Last night, I wrote defensively about how I spent money on a book, but! It wasn't that much! And I buy so few! And I really, really wanted it! And there's nothing wrong with that!

And after posting, I opened the MasterCard bill, and for a moment honestly thought the amount was a mistake.

Well, in a way of course it is, but it's my mistake, not theirs.

(I need to do a better job of keeping up with my running total of charges, to avoid nasty shocks like that in the future.)

It adds up, doesn't it? Yup.

So! In addition to trying harder on the self-control part (ha), I got to thinking about working part-time.

In the past, I have rejected the idea, because thinking of spending some part of my evenings and weekends at Dunkin Donuts or even Barnes & Noble does not appeal. (It fills me with dread, actually.) What I like doing most, such as reading or knitting, is hard to get paid for.

Then I thought of something else I like to do, which might be slightly more revenue-enhancing: spend time with babies.

I'm always the one at parties hanging around the babies, offering to hold one, not in any rush to give them back. Last fall, after my friend C. had her twins, I loved to hang out with them. Part of that, of course, is that C. is my friend, but I spent a fair amount of time just hanging with a baby while she took the chance to "accomplish something" (like taking a shower, or filling the dishwasher, life with twin infants being what it is).

I don't mind giving bottles and changing diapers and making faces. One time when I was there, the night nanny even commented on how comfortable I was with them.

Basically, I'm just a baby person. (I don't think I've ever met a baby I didn't like. As babies get older, they begin to turn into people, and then the situation is more like I am with adults: some I like more than others.)

Perhaps I can find some babysitting gigs, a few hours here or there, and earn a little money while not totally regretting the loss of my free time. It's worth looking into.

************

In other news, I have apparently lost my mind, as tonight for dinner I tried not one, not two, but three new recipes. I know, crazy, right? I generally think of myself as adventurous if I try one. I don't know what came over me. These are recipes I bookmarked a while ago, but I couldn't tell you why tonight became the night.

Of course, at heart, I made chicken, potatoes, and green beans, which doesn't sound like much. But in fact I made Bourbon Chicken:


Crash Hot Potatoes:


and Green Beans:


Not bad, if I do say so myself.


***********

One more thing: I keep forgetting to mention that I finished the baby blanket! I'll try to get a good picture some time, maybe this weekend when I have more daylight to work with. But it's done!

4 comments:

  1. Seriously awesome potato recipe. MUST TRY SOONEST.

    And the whole charge card thing? I get it (ouch, I get it). I *do* have side work but very little brain energy to do it in. I likes the baby care idea. But it's hard to ask for pay when you are enjoying yourself so much, and then again, they *ARE* your grandsons...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the chicken - have taken it into my recipe file. I didn't know you were a Pioneer Woman person too :)and those potatoes look seriously good. They will be tried when we get into cooler weather.

    Insofar as the extra work gig I have absolutely no advice to give you. I've managed to work off some debt by making belt tightening a way of life. I do realize, however, that trips to see the parents is not cheap, nor are the vet bills and new tires. If you can make cash to help you out doing something you like, do it. It's an improvement over Wally World or Dunkin Donuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh - please pardon the grammar error "trips is not" - I seriously do know better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Want a copy of last year's Quicken, hon? Can be set up (usually) to one-button-download your card charges, lets you keep a running total. At least it closes one barn door. If you'd like it, just holler. (This is the upside of having tech support in the family, dear. {g})

    ReplyDelete