Monday, February 12, 2007

Weekend reflections

I spent a lot of the weekend sleeping. (And I am remarkably unrefreshed for all of that.) I mean, I went to bed last night at about 5:30. I woke up a couple of times, I had a granola bar at around 2 a.m., and I woke up 5 minutes before the alarm went off. That's roughly 12 hours sleep, though, and in fact I got about the same Friday night, and I took a nap Saturday afternoon, too. Apparently fighting migraines is rather like fighting dragons in the energy department.

It's also a bear on to-do lists. I accomplished very little this weekend. Humph. I wanted that feeling of accomplishment, dammit.

On the other hand, the cats approved of my lethargy. Pan in particular had one of those weekends when he simply Had To Have a lap. Kind of annoying at times, but it's hard to stay mad at someone who is made perfectly happy by being close to you. (Note I didn't say it's hard to get mad at him ... it's easy to get mad at him, as he meows and meows [damnit, you're not listening], but it's hard to stay mad at him.) He wasn't actually thrilled when I went to work today. Join the club, furball. Not that I would have minded going to work--I like my job--if only I felt well. Not feeling well, for the fourth day running, damps my enthusiasm considerably. Right now I'm winning the head battle, but not by much. Earlier, the head was winning, but it cheats: it brought in the stomach for reinforcement. Is that fair? It's really hard to burp discretely at work.

Other random thoughts:

Target has gone downhill in recent years, hasn't it? I still like it, but there's no denying that it's more like WalMart than Tarzhay. The shelves are messy, things are out of stock ... it's not like it once was. Such a shame.

I've now reached the stage of cell-phone-ownership where if I go out without it, I feel nekkid. I don't use it much, and it doesn't ring much, but "I might need it" is now ingrained.

My insatiable curiosity is getting a workout on this one, and the fact that it's none of my business doesn't stop me. Since I moved in the fall, and someone I work with was moving this winter, I gave her some boxes and packing material last month. On Friday, I asked her if she wanted any more, since I've unpacked a little more. She said no, she still had the boxes I gave her before in her car since she didn't have anywhere to put them, and she still didn't know when her closing date was going to be, maybe not until next Saturday, so she didn't know when she'd be moving.

Um? Does that sound to you like she is going to be moving soon and hasn't packed yet? Anything? It's sort of what it sounded like to me. And it is None Of My Business, so I didn't ask any more, but I just can't help wondering. Plus I sort of wonder about where she's living now, if she doesn't have enough room for the few boxes I gave her. I mean, they fit in her car; it's not that much. Killed the cat, ccr, killed the cat...

Has anyone figured out the mechanics of songs stuck in the head yet? I don't just mean songs one might have heard on the radio recently, but how to explain my finding myself whistling Hail to the Chief last week, or humming the Smokey and the Bandit theme today. Why, for the love of fur? Why?

Finally, muse on this: why is "over the counter" not the opposite of "under the counter"?

2 comments:

  1. Sending patented super anti-migraine and stomach-settling vibes. And are we channeling each other? I slept most of the weekend, zonked most of today, and I'm ready to go back to bed already.

    I'd offer Pan an auxiliary lap if I were close enough, but I think he might find the commute a bit long. I think your co-worker is related to me. (Pack at last minute, under muttered protest. Possibly related to having had to move 5x in one year, but more likely procrastination as an extreme sport.) And dunno re earworms, but I have to wonder how the hell I keep getting 'Paddywack' as one. I mean, I didn't even know all the lyrics as a kid, yet still it comes back? Oy gevalt. What else is lurking? Talk about a scary thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joining the zonked out club. I spent the whole weekend lying around snurfling, coughing, and cursing viruses and life in general. And my cats spent most of it following me around every time I got up. Ed in particular wants to be wherever I am....which, as you say, is both wonderful and somewhat annoying at times. If you discover the answer to the song thing, let me know. I wake up with a different song in my head every morning. Today it was "Suddenly I See" by KT Tunstall. It's still there.

    ReplyDelete