Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Super-Strange, Anyway

I think I am, in the grocery store sense of the word, a typical American: I'm used to supermarkets, and the array they provide me with, and while most markets these days have quite an extensive international section, it is nothing like going to, say, an Asian grocery store. Having visited on Saturday, not for the first time but for the first time in a long time, one of the latter, specifically the Super 88 in Malden, I have to say wow, it was kind of like being on a foreign planet, realizing just how many cultural assumptions I didn't think about that I have.

I didn't take my camera out while I was there, though I was tempted many times, as it felt like it would be a very rude thing to do, all gawping at the basil seed soda (although, really? what does that taste like?). But I did photograph a few things I brought home. For instance, although I love the message on this package of cookies, I only knew what flavor it was because of a sign on the shelf.
Potato. Potato flavor cookies. Hmm, interesting. I took them into work, and no one else was a fan, either. Someone also pointed out the lack of actual potato in the ingredients. I imagine that was supplied by the "edible essence", don't you?
Still, I'm glad I tried them! And although the package said this:
I will not be taking them up on that.

Then there was this:
A non-refrigerated egg and milk flavored (or "flauored" anyway) pudding? I had to. After all, read that bottom line.
I looked at the back for more information, but this wasn't what I had in mind.
That's a lot of warning, don't you think? I was also surprised when I opened the package, to find the individual pods labeled thus:
"...that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Verdict? Rather plastic feeling, not a bad taste, but ... I haven't had another yet.

The only other thing I bought (well, besides apples and cucumbers) was a sauce to use in stir-fries.
Cooking caramel? Well, okay then. You have my attention.

1 comment:

  1. Heehee! We have an amaaaazing awesome Korean grocery store a few blocks away that I adore, but I am not always brave enough to try the more curious things I see there!! Being married to an Asian has helped increase the percentage of things in the store that i both buy and know what they are, though :) It's an excellent bonus!

    ReplyDelete