Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Calendar Moments, Health Thoughts

I looked at the calendar this morning and it really hit me that Thanksgiving is in three weeks. No, really, it is! Sorry if you didn't realize, but it's on the early side this year. Perhaps I should be grateful that we have ours in November, not October, the way our neighbors to the north do (any Canadians reading?): October has been such a blur, as it is every year, and when I contemplate November, well. Here it is already, ready or not.

I hope my November will be a tad less crazy than October. That doesn't seem like too much to ask for. I'm still feeling a little over-stretched today, to be honest, and though you haven't asked, I'll tell you that I haven't gone back to the Y yet. Partly their schedule, partly mine, and only a little I-don't-wanna, really.

I did go for a walk on Sunday, thirty minutes* of striding and puffing and not stopping even up a moderate hill. (I didn't bring my camera, so I wasn't able to stop for all the tempting photo opportunities; this is key for me.) And the amount of laundry I got through over the weekend made for a lot of stairs. But I know I need to get to the Y, and I should be using the stationary bike in my living room as more than a clothes hanger. I don't wanna do that either, but these last few pounds I've gained are past my tipping point, plus my doctor is displeased with my blood pressure**. Sigh. Aging sucks.
*And even after that short amount, the soles of my feet were slightly tender. I have such wimpy feet. Walking as the sole method of exercise will not work for me.

**First time I've ever had that kind of trouble, and I'd rather avoid medication if I can, I guess.

After work tonight, though I didn't get to the Y, I went to Wilson's and loaded up on healthy foods. Have to have them around in order to eat them, right? I had a salad for dinner, not a common happening for me, and it was pretty good. I also got cider, and I'm going to try it in my smoothie and see how I like that.

The cashier at Wilson's was in training, checking with the bagger for which codes to enter, and my, but it seems like a lot of numbers to learn. She would guess on some, though she wasn't usually right, but when she got to the star fruit, she said simply, "I don't even know what that is." And when my mother reads this, she will boggle at the idea that I buy star fruit, since she has a friend who gives them away by the bag from the tree in her yard, and Mum doesn't even like them! I like them well enough, for once in a while. I guess today was that day.
Another Wilson story: I was at a Starbucks recently and someone asked me if I got my bag at Wilson's. I said, "Uh, no?" before I realized what she meant, and she was right: Wilson Leather, not Wilson Farms!
Healthy food to end the day, a cleaning at the dentist to start it ... you'd hardly know it was Halloween, would you?

*****
I had an even happier calendar moment today, or rather calendar/map moment, when I was considering my trip to Webs on Nov 10th (to see Franklin Habit, yay), and realized that on the way back, I could swing in to the Wegmans in Northborough by barely going out of my way. Wooo! Wegmans! I am going to be one happy (and worn out) camper by the time I get home that night.

*****
File this one under both The Kitchen is a Dangerous Place and under I Am Amazingly Clumsy: I managed to give myself a "paper" cut on a piece of tin foil. Yes! It can be done! Without even trying, might I add. It's on the palm of my hand, halfway between the base of the thumb and the first finger. That's going to be all sorts of awkward, I can tell already.

All right, I'm going to watch the Bruins rerun on TV (god bless you, NESN) and move the clothes off the bike. Maybe I'll even ride for a few minutes!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! I make special trips to Wegman's too. :)

    Also, I secretly enjoy making the cashiers guess the produce I am buying. I think Kale stumps them sometimes.

    ReplyDelete