Thursday, October 11, 2012

Almost to that Weekend ... Allllmost There ...

Finally, finally today the sun was shining. It was so wonderful! There was some sun last Friday when I was driving to NY, but mostly it's been grey and rainy for October so far. And this time of year, when the trees are turning beautiful colors, it's a shame when the sun doesn't shine on them and show them to full advantage. They grey is gloomy, and rain hastens the fall of the leaves, and I just really needed sun. Ahhh. Blue skies, dude. I kept looking up and smiling. Kind of extra bummed that dark comes so early these days, though.

I went to my other knitting group last night, and it was a very nice time. I'd thought about not going, since this is such a busy week for me*, and just heading straight home instead. But I don't want to cancel the fun things, and leave only must-do items; that's no way to happiness. Though it got me home late, it was a pleasant and relaxing experience, which is all to the good. I finished the secret Christmas knitting project I was working on (on to the blocking!), and got a sock going so it's in place for purse knitting.
*So far, at least, next week looks much calmer, thank goodness. I'll try to keep it that way.

What's that you say? Wasn't I already in the middle of a sock? A red one? Yes, keep me honest, why don't you. The red sock that I was working on, well, we're spending some time apart. The combination of splitty yarn and blunt needles led to a mild crisis over the weekend, and while I didn't lose my cool, I could see the meltdown coming right at me. Best to put it aside. I want pointier needles for sock knitting. One of the women at the group last night recommended Lantern Moon Sox Sticks, so I'll take a look at those; maybe I'll see them at Rhinebeck or at Webs. The ones I was using on those are Clover, I think (too lazy to check), and wow, very blunt. That may work for some people, I'm not judging, but ooh, not for me. My usual needles, KnitPicks, aren't super-pointy (and are wearing down with use), but they're better than those. I know I could get sharper ones in metal; wood and bamboo just aren't as hard. But since I like the feel of wood/bamboo far better than metal, I just need to find the best I can in that medium.

I think I won't talk about what I should be doing tonight, if all was right with the world, namely watching the Bruins season open. Yeah, let's not go there. No good can come of it. (Though I will say, to all parties involved in the ongoing non-negotiating: Fuck you. That is all.)

On to cheerier topics! My birth day has passed, but that doesn't stop me from continuing to celebrate the season! Sub-topic: Birthday Wishes in the 21st Century
I'm old enough that birthday greetings that don't come in the mail*, over the phone, or in person still can surprise me just by their form. I don't object to them, mind you: e-mails, Facebook wishes, and even a celebratory text are nice. Just not what I grew up with, is all I'm saying. (Get off my lawn!)(Not really!)
*I got some nice birthday cards, and my mother and brother each chose one with a cat picture. Go figure, right?

The e-mails started last week, some from friends but mostly from the various rewards and bonus programs I'm signed up for. Airlines and restaurants and randoms, oh my! Some with offerings!
  • AirTran Airways: double rewards credit on my next flight (this calendar year)(not going to happen)
  • Not Your Average Joe's: complimentary entree and dessert! (by 10/23)(will try to make happen--anyone around here want to go with me?)
  • Panera: a "special surprise" (60 days)(oh yes, curiosity makes a good excuse)(though I wish I knew whether to go in at meal time or for a snack)
  • b.good: free burger (7 days)(maybe)
  • JetBlue: $50 off a vacation package (not going to happen)
  • Disney Movie Rewards: 100 bonus points (nice, but essentially meaningless)
  • The optical shop (where I got my first glasses at age 7): no special offer, but a gif of balloons and confetti that was quite cheery
  • Norm Thompson: 21% off my next order (may you feel like you're 21 again)(expires in a week; probably not going to happen)
  • Vanguard: birthday wishes and a reminder to verify my beneficiary designations (ooh, fun)
 None of it beats what I think is my all-time birthday card from a business, which wasn't even for me. Years back, when I lived in Charlotte, I got a card from Saturn. On the outside, it said, "We've heard something about your Saturn." Inside, it went on, "It gets around pretty well for a one-year-old!" Yes, they sent my car a birthday card! And as you can see, I haven't forgotten, though that was 1995.

Any fun card stories?

1 comment:

  1. Happy belated birthday! But did you ever find your credit card???

    ReplyDelete