Friday, October 19, 2012

Time to Get Packing!

(Yet here I am, blogging...)

The latest on the weather forecast in Rhinebeck makes me laugh at the idea that they claim to know ahead of time: from a previous forecast of a 60% chance of rain Saturday, we're now down to 10%! Partly cloudy Saturday, and mostly sunny on Sunday with also a 10% chance of rain (earlier today it was 0%, by the way). Ha! I'm still going to wear my boots, because it's raining there today so the ground will probably be messy and the grounds are not all paved, but at least we shouldn't be dealing with rain and umbrellas and all that. Hooray.

I have my packing list drafted and crafted, ready to go when I finish here. Up to a few years ago, I used to write out a list every time I was going away, and finally I copped to the strategy of keeping one on the computer. Then, when I realized I was changing certain things back and forth based on my destination, I started keeping multiple versions. Now I have "going to Grandma's and staying at the house" versus "going to Grandma's and staying at the motel"*, I have a list for flying (which is generally but not exclusively to Florida these days)(and not often enough, either), and I have a separate one for Rhinebeck.
*They're not very different, but hey, they are different.

It's broken down by what goes in the overnight bag (clothes, bath kit, and "things"), what I want to have access to in the car, and what I want for the festival itself. I figure out what I'm going to wear, what I need to do before I leave in the morning (you can't pack your glasses Friday night if you need to use them Saturday morning) ... planning is part of the anticipation is part of the fun!

Who else will be at Rhinebeck? Based solely on blogs I read (and Ravelry), I know that Drin, the woman who designed my favorite-ever sock pattern, will be at Rhinebeck, so I can thank her in person (she's even going to be at The Fold's booth, where they sell my precious Socks That Rock, so it's already my first stop); the Yarn Harlot will be there (not as an author this year, but as a knitter); Anne from Knitspot; and Bezzie from Random Meanderings (as she says, "assuming no one gets a stomach bug, mystery rash or it promises to rain a lot"). I'm pretty sure I'll be able to bring myself to say hi to Drin, but I imagine that even if I see the others (and I would recognize the middle two at least), I won't be able to bring myself to accost them. Hi, I'm socially awkward! How are you?

*****
A couple of Y-related notes: I was going to go next Wednesday, but the pool is closed Wednesday for a meet. So then I thought I would go Thursday, but a friend is going to here from out of town and I'm having dinner with her*. Should I still try to go after dinner, or is that setting myself up for failure? Or is it more of a failure to keep putting it off? I can go Friday. Have to consider. I will of course report back.
*Getting this program started is important to me, but she lives in Minnesota, and I don't get to see her very often. 

As for the locker question, the woman at the Y told me that anyone is free to use a locker during a visit*, but if you want to leave things there from one visit to the next, you have to rent it, for an extra $10/month. She said that it's nice to be able to leave shampoo etc there, and you can run your swimsuit through the "salad spinner" until it's almost dry, then hang it in your locker and it will dry the rest of the way.
*I ought to ask them: I assume you can bring your own lock** to use during that visit, but I'd better verify. Even if I bring no other valuables, I have to have my car key with me, and I'd hate to think someone could take that!
**And then I'll have to get my own lock. I do own one (from high school, thank you!), but it's on the storage area in my basement. Actually, I wonder if a little travel lock would fit?

If this becomes a regular habit, I can see where that might be preferable to hauling things back and forth, but to start, I'm going to consider the carrying part of my workout.

*****
Watching that Bruins game last night was painfully awesome. I've missed hockey so much! Last night should have been the 4th game of the season, the home opener ... damn them all. I told myself that I wasn't getting excited about the potentially promising news in the lockout this week, but I'm cast down anyway now that it's all falling apart. Whatever, NHL/NHLPA. Whatever. Anyway, it was wonderful to listen to the skates and the whistles and the thumps, to hear Jack's enthusiasm and Brick's insight, and even knowing that the Bruins would win, I got irritated by Montreal scoring and excited when the Bruins did. It was great. Damn it.

Looking at this fan art about hockey made me feel better. I highly recommend it, for other hockey fans, if you need to get the taste of the lockout out of your mouth.
Also check out the store: there are about 50 shirts there that I want.


There. I feel better now.

Off to pack!

No comments:

Post a Comment