Friday, June 29, 2012

Lesson for the Day: Don't be Afraid to Ask

aka, Sometimes You Get Lucky
 
Even if you're pretty sure the answer will be no, it doesn't hurt to ask, a lesson I've learned before, but had reinforced today.
 
When I started this job, June 4th, I was under the impression that the health insurance would kick in July 1st. That's what I wrote in my notes from the HR meeting the first day, and that's what the analyst who started the same day I did also thought was happening. But as we learned this afternoon, we were wrong. 
 
Did you ever think of the word "month" as being a nonspecific term? It does have more than one meaning. There's the calendar month, like June, and then there's a calendar month, like thirty days. Seems like a small distinction, until it changes your health insurance from July to August.
 
However, good news! I figured it would be too late to get another month of COBRA coverage from my old job, but what does it hurt to ask? I shot the woman in HR there an e-mail, saying that I figured the answer was no but thought I would check, and she said no problem. Whew!
 
Paranoid klutzes should not be without health insurance, you know? And now I don't have to be. Whew!

1 comment:

  1. Especially when you have not one but two cats for your tripping convenience! Well, that's what happens to me, anyway. Good idea to ask about everything; that worked out well!

    ReplyDelete