Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Slightly Cranky, Mostly Tired

Arthur Dent couldn't get the hang of Thursdays, but for me, based on an extremely small sample size, I am not that fond of Tuesdays. Last week, Tuesday was my second day, the CEO was around, I barely saw my boss, and I had to find work to do because she didn't get to forward me the getting-started e-mail with actual work until Wednesday*. It was just an irritating day.
*I didn't have my computer set up Monday, so it wasn't her fault that I didn't get it Monday. And it's more the CEO's fault than hers that I didn't get it Tuesday.
 
This week, there wasn't an external force like that, but just the same I felt irritated well before the day was out. Starting new jobs is hard, and I should know, I've done it way too much lately. I hate the period when I'm straining my brain to remember the thousand separate things to do on a project. I sent the first report I worked on (which was frankly a disaster when I got it*) back yesterday to have my work reviewed. I didn't expect my work to have been perfect--right and wrong is one thing, but style and company preferences are quite another--but that doesn't mean I like getting to see all that I missed. It's going to take time, I know that it will, but I don't like it.
*I am certain that there are many non-native English speakers who could write a report so well you would never know, but the author of this report is not one of them.
 
Also, I made the mistake of wearing a dress and sandals to work, and my legs and feet were freezing most of the day. I noticed temperature fluctuations in the office last week, where it was warmer in the mornings and cooled down during the day, but this week it's just been chilly, and when I got in the car I turned the heat on, despite the 75 degree weather. (Also this week, traffic has been worse, which I didn't need. It took me almost an hour to get home tonight, a ride that would take 20 minutes out of rush hour, and has been taking about 30-35 most days.)
 
It doesn't help that I'm extra tired today. I stayed up to watch the Kings hoist the Cup last night, which was fun so I kind of don't regret it, but I could have used the extra hour of sleep so I kind of do.
 
Still, they won, and it was nice to see the happy people. And now, as Puck Daddy said
Now then. Someone lock Gary Bettman and Donald Fehr in a room until they work out a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. Or fall in love. I don't really care, just so long as the 2012-13 season begins on time.
Right. That. Now early to bed for me. Eventually I will have more coherent thoughts on work, but, you know, not now.

1 comment:

  1. It can be really baffling when you start a new job and they don't seem to be ready for you! That has happened to me, too. I hope things are getting ironed out.

    ReplyDelete