Monday, October 31, 2011

"This is my costume..."

"...I'm a homicidal maniac. They look just like everyone else." (I thought about putting "Happy Halloween" as the title instead, but really The Addams Family is more me.)

Since I had to deal with so little snow myself from this freakish storm, it was easy to forget that not everyone was so lucky. I found it disorienting when my radio alarm this morning turned on in the middle of a school-closings list, but of course with larger amounts of snow elsewhere, and plenty of lingering power outages, it made sense. I live and work in the low-snow area for this storm, but two people* in my group at work were happy to come in to a place with power, unlike their homes, so I was reminded again how lucky I am.

*Out of five!

And unable to complain much about how cold it was at work today, which it honestly was--but still, better than no power and heat at all. Unfortunately this morning I dressed seasonally in the sense of bright fall colors (even an orange shirt for Halloween!) but not seasonally in the sense of warm enough for the weather. And while it was literally freezing outside this morning, it was figuratively freezing inside at work (someone reported that the air-conditioned server room was warmer than our area this morning). After shivering in scarf-shawl-and-mitts all morning, I gave up and put my coat back on before lunch, and it felt wonderful. Let me emphasize that: WONDERFUL. Why-didn't-I-do-that-sooner good.Wore it all day, too. Brr.

Think happy yarn thoughts instead. I had a nice time at stitch and bitch tonight, and got a lot done on secret Christmas knitting, ooh! Very happy so far. More to come. I stayed later than I usually do, and so I'm barely home and already thinking about bed. Yawn!

2 comments:

  1. my parents (in NJ) had over 4" of snow, and had to stay at a hotel last night because they had no power. this storm has been CRAZY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No power for my family in NJ, either, nor the ones in CT, I think. Crazy!

    I wear my coat in my office sometimes, too, so that was a smart move. Glad you got your knitting in!

    ReplyDelete